• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Vs AMD- VFX Editing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Broadsword

Registered
Okay, this might seem like a redundant post but its not. I have read dozens ofarticles comparing the Fx 8120/50 with the i6 2500k amd above.
My question is which is better for Video Editing and rendering:
Amd fx 8120 or the i5 2320.
So, my question is which is better for video editing and rendering:
i5 2320 or AMD fx 8120

The softwares ill be using are

Ae, photoshop, illustrator, 3ds max , premiere etc
I will also be playing all the latest games as well.
A subjective reply would really help.
Thanks

Last edited:
FX-8120, no question. It can overclock to decent clocks (be sure to have a good motherboard and solid cooling). For all intents and purposes the i5 2320 can't overclock at all. No-brainer there.

FX-8120, no question. It can overclock to decent clocks (be sure to have a good motherboard and solid cooling). For all intents and purposes the i5 2320 can't overclock at all. No-brainer there.

Okay, I get the overclocking part. Could you suggest me some good motherboard options, Iam a noob at AMD Builds.
And one more thing, at stock speeds Which one pulls ahead?

I was wondering another alternative.

An i5 2500k and 16 gigs of ram ( 4x4g)
Or
A Fx 8120 with 20 gigs of ram ( 2x8g, 1x4g)- here I will also be getting another 4gigs pretty soon for a total of 24gigs.

Thanks.
* My purpose remains the same.

Okay, I get the overclocking part. Could you suggest me some good motherboard options, Iam a noob at AMD Builds.
And one more thing, at stock speeds Which one pulls ahead?
The ASUS Crosshair V Formula is pretty much the best board you can find for FX chips. I love it. A decent alternative would be the 990FX Sabertooth. I don't have any experience with MSI or ASRock AMD boards, but I just plain don't like Giga AMD boards after reviewing the 990FXA-UD7, unless they've finally come out with the revision that fixes LLC.

At stock speeds, the i5 probably pulls ahead. Can't say that for sure, but probably. Again, if you ever need more though, it can't give it to you. The FX can.
I was wondering another alternative.

An i5 2500k and 16 gigs of ram ( 4x4g)
Or
A Fx 8120 with 20 gigs of ram ( 2x8g, 1x4g)- here I will also be getting another 4gigs pretty soon for a total of 24gigs.

Thanks.
* My purpose remains the same.
Performance between the two is a wash, but the 2500K will certainly run cooler, so I'd go with that. You can overclock both to similar speeds and their performance will be right there neck-and-neck. If you don't mind a little extra heat, it's just whatever you prefer - AMD or Intel.

For memory, I would very strongly recommend buying all of the memory you're going to need at one time. When you do, purchase a matched set. If you want 16G of RAM, get a 2x8G set, not 4x4G (it's easier on the IMC). If you want more than 16G, get a 32G set, 4x8G.

Do not run 2x8G + 1x4G, it will take away the performance advantage of dual channel and running mixed-and-matched ICs will put stress on your IMC as well as (most likely) keep you from running your RAM at its rated speed.

I am sure i have read it somewhere. That I can have two sets of Ram( in similar colored slots).
If that is true- cant i have 2x8g + 2x4g ?

You can run them, but you will have problems running them at their rated speed and may have trouble running them stable at all. Running RAM with different ICs is a very bad idea. You'll have to run the RAM at the higher of the kits' voltage, the lower of their speed and the looser of their timings....and that's if they cooperate properly. If they are uncooperative, you'll have to reduce the speed even below their ratings. Worst case, and it does happen, you won't be able to run them at all; IC incompatibility can lead to instability no matter how slow you run them or how loose you make the timings.

It's just a bad idea. Run a matched kit to save yourself the headache. If you can't afford 32G right now, buy 2x8G and then get the same 2x8G kit down the road...but you're still taking chance, because even with the same model number manufacturers can change ICs. It's less of a chance but still a chance.

EDIT - Also, in order to run 8G sticks at the speeds at which they're rated, manufacturers tend to put a good amount of secondary and tertiary timings in the SPD that will be required to run four sticks stable. Those timings will NOT be the same as the 4G sticks. If the system tries to apply the 4G timings, you'll not get stable and would have to try to set ALL of the memory timings manually per SPD, rather than just the first four timings.

hokie's giving you good advice. Also, if you don't plan on overclocking, I would go with the 2500k unless the 8120 gives you a decent memory advantage in the end.

hokie's giving you good advice. Also, if you don't plan on overclocking, I would go with the 2500k unless the 8120 gives you a decent memory advantage in the end.

Not meaning to start a debacle or derail the thread, and before I ask this, yes I know fully that the 2500k is a superior chip, but if he doesn't plan on overclocking(hence why he mentioned the 8120/2320 comparison) why recommend the unlocked chip? I'm simply just curious as to if the chip has mor advantages to it besides the unlockable part.

Start a debacle? :shrug:

Well outside of overclocking it does turbo boost to 3.7Ghz vs 2320 that does not and is at 3Ghz flat. So you get a 300Mhz clock speed increase at base as well. And its always nice to be able to overclock should the want arise. Difference is like $40 on newegg or the 2500K is CHEAPER at Microcenter (since the 2320 isnt available there. Just more options on the table...(dont go there! :p)

But to answer the OP, +1 to Hokie.

Broadsword, where are you located at and what is your budget? Also, do you have any parts now? Is this an upgrade? Or completely new build from scratch?

Back