• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What CPU can my LAPTOP handle?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WonderKidd

I was wondering if i could buy a new computer however parents won't let me etc (too much room).

I was wondering,whats the best CPU that my laptop cann handle? How do i buy this? etc

My Laptop is a Toshiba Satelite 660D

Last edited:
I would go to the Toshiba website. You should be able to find that information out there. I tried to google your model for you but came up with nothing. Perhaps call Toshiba?

Very simple,
Please tell me what chip it has in it?
I need this from yourself as in answering the question we can be certain to give you the right answer.
I think I know what the answer is already but please confirm to me what it tells you.
I guess you mean c660 but I need to know if intel chip or AMD.
IF AMD I am afraid not.
If a i3 chip you dont need to change it, its plenty powerful.
However I am guessing you are not happy with its gaming abilities and that, I am afraid we cannot alter.

Last edited:
Theres nothing on their website which tells me.
Anyone knows which processor I can get ?

Very simple,
Please tell me what chip it has in it?
I need this from yourself as in answering the question we can be certain to give you the right answer.
I think I know what the answer is already but please confirm to me what it tells you.

How do I find out what chip it has? I don't know much about laptops/PC's as you can tell! Sorry!

If bluntpencil doesnt come through (Im trying to figure out how he can manage that with knowing your current processor), then CALL Toshiba.

How do I find out what chip it has? I don't know much about laptops/PC's as you can tell! Sorry!
Download and install a program called CPUz. Post a screenshot up of first tab (what it opens to).

Good man.
Yeah its an AMD chip which can mean it is soldered to the Mobo.
Although I have worked on many laptops I have yet to open up one of these but I can find out by trolling the net.
What I need to know is what you want to use it for?
I was guessing that you want better gaming performance and in fact these are pretty good for the price. But for doing any photo editing/graphical rendering/video encoding they are not so great.
So please let me know what about it disappoints you,please.

That is a great little APU. It is not so great at high end games but it does a good job at most everything else.

If you want to improve things I would suggest first finding out if you can adjust your memory timings and if you can get the fastest memory you can and titen the timings until it will not run. Back off a hair and call it a day.

You will be limited to 1333 mem speed but with say 2133 mem you can get those timings down into the 6s.

Also if you have the tools to OC they are a blast.

Good man.
Yeah its an AMD chip which can mean it is soldered to the Mobo.
Although I have worked on many laptops I have yet to open up one of these but I can find out by trolling the net.
What I need to know is what you want to use it for?
I was guessing that you want better gaming performance and in fact these are pretty good for the price. But for doing any photo editing/graphical rendering/video encoding they are not so great.
So please let me know what about it disappoints you,please.

I game and obviously I use a HD PVR which is a recording device which can record gameplay. When I am recording, my laptop goes slow. When i edit clips on Sony Vegas, it goes slow, rendering is slow.

when i watch LiveStreams for example on www.twitch.tv and justin.tv it lags every 10seconds,it is not the streamers fault or my Connnection as I get 40mb Download and 3upload!

when i watch LiveStreams for example on www.twitch.tv and justin.tv it lags every 10seconds,it is not the streamers fault or my Connnection as I get 40mb Download and 3upload!

You should not be having those issues. I can play Blu-Ray, netflix, HUHL and pretty much everything I throw at it at stock speeds. The difference is mine is not a laptop.

Are your drivers up to date?
Do you have power management off (lappys can be a pain)?
Does it happen when you are on AC Power?
Have you opened it up and gotten the dust out?

Well you do what I do (make films) and for editing films or rendering this laptop is very bad.
BUT please dont get downhearted.
They are very good laptops with superb graphics and respectable battery life.
For showing your films around to friends, or to show your teacher your show reel, you cannot get a better laptop for the price.
Believe me I have a more powerful laptop but when I take it to show my business advisor a film it stutters and freezes which your one wont.
That is because the graphics in your laptop are pretty keen.
So use it as a film library as it has got a biggish Hard Disk (320GB).
HOWEVER.
What you need is to get a Desktop PC to do the things your laptop is not so good at.
Before I go on advising you on how to get a cheap desktop (PC in a box, in case you dont know what a desktop is, I didnt once) I need to know if that is is an option you are OK with.
If you must have a laptop and a desktop is not a solution tell me so I wont waste your time.
Desktop is much more powerful and a lot cheaper than any laptop.
Im sure you know that though.:)

You should not be having those issues. I can play Blu-Ray, netflix, HUHL and pretty much everything I throw at it at stock speeds. The difference is mine is not a laptop.

Are your drivers up to date?
Do you have power management off (lappys can be a pain)?
Does it happen when you are on AC Power?
Have you opened it up and gotten the dust out?

Yes, my drivers are all up to date, I have that off also and im not sure if it works when i'm on AC power, i will check later!
I am going to local repair shop tomorrow sometime to get the dust out! I would do it myself however risky aha and dont have the right screws.

Yes, my drivers are all up to date, I have that off also and im not sure if it works when i'm on AC power, i will check later!
I am going to local repair shop tomorrow sometime to get the dust out! I would do it myself however risky aha and dont have the right screws.

I have an AMD Laptop and I had similar issues that were caused by a substantial dust build up. I took the thing apart cleaned it and replaced the TIM with some diamond, Worked great.

I will say unless you have animals or are in a very dusty area that it may not be the issue. Things to try before taking it anywhere are Plugging it in (you already knew that), running malware software and an AV deep scan, shutting down services and programs you may not need.

Back