• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chipset HS on TH7II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gone_fishin

BandSaw King
Has anyone modded this in any way? Should the thermal pad be replaced with some thermal compound? I put the thermal sensor on the HS and temps do rise when upping the vcore.

I have read about people removing the hs and applying AS2 or similar.
I have also seen a guy who put a small fan on the hs to cool it.

Haven't tried anything yet as I'm stable right now, and more worried about the mainboard temp(see post below).

Mike G

Batboy, did you take temps before and after your mod?

Is it dangerous to have Arctic silver on the northbridge for fear of shorting something out?

Last edited:
I didn't notice any temp change after the mod, but I don't think the mobo thermister is near to the northbridge and I have good case ventilation. However, just that mod alone allowed me to overclock another 2 MHz FSB, not a lot, but I'll take anything I can get. There was nothing right near the northbridge chip core to short out that I remember. The core is a little small thing in the middle of the chip, sort of like a Coppermine flipchip CPU core.

My 60mm fan mod.

nb.jpg

There is my 60mm NB mod on my TH7-2. I'm currently burning in the CPU at 1.6V and have not experienced any issues thus far. Instead of Arctic Silver 3, which can be used no problems without damaging the core, I used some Alumina only cause its non-elec. conductive and I wouldnt have to wait upto 72 hours for AS3 to become non-elec. conductive on a thick coat.

I went and modded mine. I see what you mean the northbridge looks like a PIII core. Check my post in the cooling forum.

Back