• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD to Intel for better BF3 fps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shaunnyb

Registered
Ok so take a look at my current system build, all i do is play BF3 and i am looking at swapping out the motherboard, cpu, and ram to an intel build these are the componants:

Intel 3rd gen i7-3930K
Asrock Fatility (2011 socket)
16gb ram at 2400

as i play on eyefinity using a single HD7970 do you think this change will increase my fps and by How much

I honestly don't think you will notice enough of a difference to warrant the cost. Maybe a few fps here or there, but really the 8150 isn't a bad CPU. You would be better off having a second 7970.

I honestly don't think you will notice enough of a difference to warrant the cost. Maybe a few fps here or there, but really the 8150 isn't a bad CPU. You would be better off having a second 7970.

+1

A second 7970 would net you bigger gains than switching platforms.

+1

A second 7970 would net you bigger gains than switching platforms.

Another +1. Or turn detail levels down. Triple monitors is doable on a single GPU, but not at Ultra settings with any cards currently on the market. Ok, maybe a GTX690, but I haven't tested one of those.

I play BF3 on an AMD, i'm averaging 70 FPS on air maps all day on these settings....

I agree, use the money for another 7970 for CF, if anything.

Attachments

• bf3 2012-07-19 23-45-13-64.png
    bf3 2012-07-19 23-45-13-64.png
    348 KB · Views: 319
yer i am getting about the same, but when i am on eyefinity (3 screens)
i run all at medium and i get 48-54 fps currently.

With single-card Eyefinity I doubt you would see any difference. The GPU will probably still be the bottleneck running 3 monitors by itself. If you were to go Crossfire, or only be running 1 monitor, that would be a different story. But with the price and hassle of swapping all the major components, you may see 5-10 FPS.

I would say clock your CPU to 4.5 GHz if you can reach it and run your RAM at 1866. Those should show at least some benefit. But as others have said, running Eyefinity, you'll get a way more noticeable improvement from a second 7970 than from a new CPU.

well i think the H100 i am using sux, what temp is safe to run the FX-8150 at? cause in summer it was hittin temps of high 60's to low 70's

WEll I am not sure why so many people are building high performance PC case with out adequate DAC cooling.

(Direct Air Cooling) Ie 2-4 120 mm side panel fans.

I get that people want "quiet setups" I have one, but its a stock (undervolted) thuban and a 6770 card. the corsair setups are nice, I am not poo pooin it, but in the last 5 minutes this is the second time I see someone having issues with temps and running a corsair no sidepanel fan case.

I miss my NZXT Zero all aluminum (heat sheeding) 4x120mm side panel using case. Only thing wrong with it? Was laid out too much like a antec 900. Which made connecting SATA ports on a normal sized ATX board difficult. And had no hidey holes. But I fixed that part and reversed the drives. Wish I had not gotten rid of it.

Or my Stacker STC-T01 either. Heavily modded though, still only had a single 120mm in it since 140s were not popular then. (stock was 80mm bracket). Not as cool as my Zero but man I loved that case.

WEll I am not sure why so many people are building high performance PC case with out adequate DAC cooling.

(Direct Air Cooling) Ie 2-4 120 mm side panel fans.

I get that people want "quiet setups" I have one, but its a stock (undervolted) thuban and a 6770 card. the corsair setups are nice, I am not poo pooin it, but in the last 5 minutes this is the second time I see someone having issues with temps and running a corsair no sidepanel fan case.

I miss my NZXT Zero all aluminum (heat sheeding) 4x120mm side panel using case. Only thing wrong with it? Was laid out too much like a antec 900. Which made connecting SATA ports on a normal sized ATX board difficult. And had no hidey holes. But I fixed that part and reversed the drives. Wish I had not gotten rid of it.

Or my Stacker STC-T01 either. Heavily modded though, still only had a single 120mm in it since 140s were not popular then. (stock was 80mm bracket). Not as cool as my Zero but man I loved that case.

I love that my Stacker has 4 120mm fan ports on the side panel, but my motherboard only has 3 case fan connections, so I can't run any of them. I have front, back, and top. I imagine a lot of people run into similar issues.

well the Corsair 650D has quite good ventilation from all sides except the side.

I think you should get some high speed memory and another 7970 if you are wanting to get the most out of that rig. If you were on a tight budget I would suggest getting yourself some Samsung 30 nm ($47/8GB) , but with the budget it looks like you are working with I would probably go for some 2133 Mhz stuff with tight timings . That will probably run around ~$80 /8GB.

I can second the comments about the benefits of using an aluminum case, my CM Praetorian is a giant heatsink / dissipator all on its own. I am switching over to watercooling next week though, and I did not want to cut up this pristine antique case to make it work so I got myself a NZXT source 210 and this case with the M5A97 is going to become the wife's rig. For your current situation getting a few high static pressure Scythes or something like them pushing air into your case should help out.

I love that my Stacker has 4 120mm fan ports on the side panel, but my motherboard only has 3 case fan connections, so I can't run any of them. I have front, back, and top. I imagine a lot of people run into similar issues.

A fan controller usually allows 4-8 fans to be connected via single 4pin peripheral IDE style connector (Commonly called Molex). that will run $20-30 bucks and you will also need fire extension wires for a few bucks a piece.

OR. If you can get fans that use 4pin peripheral power connectors already, strap all 4 together and run a single 4pin power cable to the side of the case with the fans :)

People have been running multiple fans for a lot longer than motherboards supported them :thup:

well the Corsair 650D has quite good ventilation from all sides except the side.

Its a fine case. I like the looks, but there is no case that can compare to a couple of side panel fans blowing fresh cool air directly on to the hot components. It used to be a mandatory thing in an enthusiast case, I guess not so much anymore :)

Open bench with mega fans.. duh :rolleyes:

edit:// oh ya. almost forgot :facepalm:

+1 to 2nd card.. No point in switching platforms from what your on. Ya all the "intel" guys get swag.. but you are not bottle necking at the cpu/board at this point IMHO

Back