• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD and Intel Reliability

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Opusbuild

Hello all,

I am trying to decide if I should go the AMD FX8210 way or the Intel i5 3570k way for my first build.

We often talk about performance of the CPU's. What about the reliability and quality, does this become an issue. Bare in mind that I aim to be running the CPU's at full load for sometimes days on end, non stop for analysis work.

Learning more about this may help me to make a more informed decision on which to go for.

I look forward to the discussions

Thanks

You can run either CPU's at full load 24/7, no issue.

A lot of people on this forum use their overclocked rigs for distributed computing 24/7 for years.

You can run either CPU's at full load 24/7, no issue.

A lot of people on this forum use their overclocked rigs for distributed computing 24/7 for years.

+1
either CPU will be able to run 24/7 for years. Software will be the main thing that causes downtime from my experience.

What type of program will you be using?

invest in a decent cooling system (water cooling) or something to keep the temps low, and you'd practically be able to run forever.

Not for ever because of electromigration, but both CPU will perform perfectly for a big chunk of time. I still have an AMD Athlon XP somewhere running perfectly for casual googling.

indeed, it will be fine, i would go for the 3570k if you arnt going to be doing nuts multitasking, if you are maybe amd is worth a shot. If its going to be used for general stuff, encoding, gaming etc go with the intel. :)

They'll be fine for reliability. From a performance standpoint, go with Intel if your calculations are FLOP, AMD if they're integer.

They'll be fine for reliability. From a performance standpoint, go with Intel if your calculations are FLOP, AMD if they're integer.

Thanks Knufire, I can confirm that the calculations are FLOP.

Yes, I might have got a little over excited about AMD's 8 cores. I am thinking about the i7 3770k ivy bridge, but based on my £600 budget I can get the i5 ivy 3570k and spend the money on getting a better graphics card, like the ones you suggested Knufire.

Back