• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WyrmMaster

I'm a little teapot Senior
About a two days ago i started monitoring my RAM temps, and found that at idle it was around 33c and at full load it got OVER 40c. TOO HOT. So i fixed up a double fan from an old harddrive cooler (a bit of paint so it looks cool) and hung it over the RAM. Much better, dropped it about 7c at load. Well if a fan is good, why not heatsinks. So i made myself a couple of RAMsinks. 1/4 inch aluminum on the outside, 1/8 on the side facing the other chip. Attach them with arctic alumina and bingo. The final result is that i can get my FSB up to 176 in windows :D :D . Doesnt work to well, to much data coruption on the harddrive, but i SEEMS to be fine at 174. It would post at 180, but thats all. All at CAS 2-2-2 :D Current ram temp is 27c idle, but thats with .1v and 8mhz more than the previous temps. Considering the cost ($0) id say it was pretty sucessful.

Benchmarks at 176, not bad considering its the AMD 760 chipset.

I have a small table fan ducted to the CPU and RAM, so its always cool :cool:

Good to know that cooling the ram or having any air to it will give you the extra performance.

Unfortunatly my PCI bus doesnt like it. The modem especially doesnt like running at 43mhz :rolleyes: In CS it like playing in a strobelight. Its smooth, but you only see ever 5th frame or so. Pretty wierd. Im back to 170 now, hopefull it works.

I got it working at 174 again, woot. :)

I guess what happened is when i booted at 176 it corrupted my modem drivers along with a hundred some odd files:eek: :eek: . Back to 133, run scandisk, and its working again.

I'm back to 168fsb for now I guess, sometimes rare data corruption happen at the high fsbs and I'm willing to settle for 3 fsb difference for a stable performance rather than taking 50/50 chances.

looks like its stable. Im not gona edit my sig just yet, whenever i do that it quits working:rolleyes: , but it looks good so far.

heres the benchmarks at 176. I meant to post them with the first post, but the pic was too big

Im at 2.9v, as much as i can. I wouldnt go this high, before, but with cooling i dont think it will be a problem. Its still cooler than it was before.

And it looks like its stable.:D

I backed off to 172 so that i could lower CPU voltage, but overall not too shabby. I would recommend RAM cooling to everyone.

Back