• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Future proof CPU for gaming!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MAL22

I'm currently looking to buy a second gaming computer and I am wondering if I should get the i5-3570k or the Phenom II 965 BE? I know gaming relies on the GPU and that's why i might buy the HD 6950 but I don't want to buy a phenom II right now to find out it's going to be outdated performance-wise in less than 2-3 years while the ivy bridge CPU is going to be better longer. But paying 300$ for the intel mobo/i5 cpu is really a turn off whilst I already have an am3 mobo which only needs to be RMA'ed to MSI and buy the Phenom for 100$

Depends on your overall system budget, what games your looking to play, what resolution, what settings, etc.

I've been playing with a HD 5770 so far in 1080p mostly on med settings but having a better card I would go higher without hesitating. Playing CoD, dead island, killing floor, skyrim, fallout new vegas, just cause 2, tf2, metro 2033 and many upcoming games that I'll find nice to play. I also like mods and hi-res textures with games like new vegas skyrim or crysis 2

I'm willing to stay under 900$ 1000$ is my absolute maximum and I don't want to spend cash on it until either the CPU or the GPU gets really outdated or dies.

Future proof is not a PhII x2, 3 or 4. X6 or FX8XXX if you go AMD and I would go APU before Phenom II

What country? Could you link us to the store you're buying from? If it's not in English, it's okay.

Do you need a complete second computer or can you reuse parts from the Gateway in your signature?

I'd prefer keeping it intact since I plan to go to college and sometimes (Christmas week for example) to go back see my parents and It would be appreciable to have this computer available.

Ordering on newegg.ca

I'd prefer keeping it intact since I plan to go to college and sometimes (Christmas week for example) to go back see my parents and It would be appreciable to have this computer available.

Ordering on newegg.ca

I assume you are in Canada so I would suggest also considering ordering parts from:
www.ncix.com

I would suggest the 3570k over the PhII.

I need a monitor. Someone's selling a 20"-23" samsung monitor for 100$ (1680x1050) going to use this one for my gateway and take my full HD monitor with me.

Around this price.

Edit: ABout the monitor i meant someone in town is selling it.

Or would it be more worth it to just buy the 6950 and wait until my phenom can no longer handle any games? That way i could buy a whole new system with haswell/broadwell or steamroller/excavator? I was about to buy a laptop to fill that purpose but a desktop games so much more and don't think i would have gamed anywhere out of my appartement since battery life sucks on laptops.

You could build this now, it should play any game out there at high settings, ultra if you don't mind no AA. If you're going to college in the fall, won't you need a PC anyway?

Note that the 7850 from NCIX comes with a $40 rebate, and they knock off another $25, but only today. Free game too.

Everything in the Newegg cart is a combo. Wait four days and use the $40 gift card that they email you to get a Hyper212 Evo to overclock.

Screen Shot 2012-07-25 at 7.48.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-07-25 at 7.49.08 PM.png

What 6950?

If you look at this review: http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-radeon-hd-7850-power-edition-oc-review/14, this version of the 7850 routinely outperforms the 6950. It also draws way less power, you can run two of them on the 600W I mentioned. Also, it's a Twin Frozr III, meaning MSI probably bins the chips and only the higher OCing ones get put in.

The deal with NCIX comes with a $40 MIRs, so your about $230 including shipping, you're getting better performance, lower power consumption (which saves you money on a PSU that can support two cards) and Dirt Showdown...I think it's worth it over the 6950. Plus it fits in your budget...

I'd personally give up the 170$ mobo which is way overpriced to my eye. o_O

6970>7850>6950

given the deal on the 7850 grab it, given your budget the rig Knufire made up looks to be very good.

Currently looking... And my comment about the mobo was incorrect considering the 40$ gift card.

Back