• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How i compare AMD and INTEL CPU ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gh0sT-NoVa

As title said ,I want to learn how to compare CPU(s), i think its not easy to compare which is better just by the specs specially for AMD vs INTEL a total different CPU brands.

Here is their specs , im comparing the I5 3450 and FX 6100 Black Edition.

I5 3450

http://ark.intel.com/products/65511/

FX 6100

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-FX-Series FX-6100.html

If going through the basic specs, the FX 6100 pretty much beats the I5 3450 right ? Also the FX 6100 is OCable and the I5 3450 can't

But does the FX 6100 really beats the I5 3450 ?

Even in term of Value for Money

the closest AMD to the Intel Core i5-3450 would be a AMD FX-8120 Eight-Core
so the i5 is considerably faster then the the fx you are listing.

Ouch that's one big blow there lol

Not saying i dnt believe you but how do the people proof / compare this , as i say i think just by the specs wont do.

I think there will need benchmarking etc , is there a list i can see with all INTEL and AMD CPU(s) go head on

there is one here but passmark isn't know to be the best site for accurate benchmarks as alot of people cheat there system but it can be used for a general reference.
basically each chart is the average of all there submitted benches for each cpu.

The thing is benchmarking, while it will tell you the straight computational differences between CPUs, isn't very indicative of real world performance.

Try the hardware compare database that Anandtech runs. Also look up specific reviews of the games you play like the ones on Toms Hardware where they test the game on a wide range of hardware.

You're forgetting about IPC (instructions per clock) performance. This is a measure of how good the architecture is, not a certain CPU. IPC for all Bulldozer CPUs are the same, and IPC for all Ivy Bridge CPUs are the same. It's basically like this, if I took both CPUs and disabled all but one core and set them at the same clock speed, which one is faster? In that regard, Ivy Bridge will crush Bulldozer. Now some of that difference is made up because Bulldozer is clocked higher and has more cores (for integer calculations).

lol right after i ask i try searching it for myself at first i tried tom's hardware they only have till 2010 and i saw my CPUthere, very very very low.....its just like above of Athon II sad case lol.....well no longer once i get my new build with I5 3450 = p

From the looks of the chart it totally dominates the FX 6100 even beats the FX 8120 , well no wonder the FX 8120 price has drop so much here !

Back