• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3570k usage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xK1LLSW1TCHx127

Registered
Hey guys, I have a question for you wise cpu gurus: So I've had my Rig for about a month now and at first while web browsing with about 4 or five tabs on chrome my CPU usage would sit at below or around 10%
NO settings have changed since then, except for the installation of steam and open office, and now using a single tab on chrome (as i write this to you) my cpu is at nearly 30% I checked task manager and I don't see any out of the ordinary tasks, even steam is completely shut down, why?

Thanks in advance guys =):thup:

Anyone? I've been reading about this and apparently a lot of people are seeing high CPU usage from windows 7. When I start up my PC it's all good, below 10%, and as soon as I open something up it'll shoot up to 30% on cores 2 and 3 and it just will not drop from there. Anyone else experiencing this that can provide tips? A solution? I just have a hard time believing that my i5 needs to sit at 30% usage to run windows 7 when my old Pentium dual core sits at like 12% with vista under the same conditions

I do not experience that problem, no. Its a 'trimmed' installation for space on an SSD. Thats it.

Have you tweaked any settings in windows settings, or is it just a regular old install?

Well it is just a normal install i7 running at stock speeds with 16GB of ram. IMHO you have a background service running. Perhaps BITS.

One thing you can try is installing a clean browser. Comodo Dragon is a good one.

Ok I'll uninstall chrome and try that see if it fixes anything. A Google search took me to the seven forum, apparently windows media player is the cause of this for some people, after I try the browser thing (if the problem persists) I plan to disable windows media player through the control panel, is there an alternative to windows media player? Thanks guys

Fixed it

Hey guys Thanks a ton for the help, but i think I figured it out =) Resource monitor says intel rapid storage was using up 25% of my CPU, I checked a few places and since I'm not using the service I disabled it in my BIOS and changed the service from automatic startup to manual. Now I'm happily browsing chrome and word processing along with steam and my processor has yet to spike above 7%, thanks!!:thup::clap:

If you have any media codec packs installed for WMP make sure to uninstall those as well. Then go to videolan.org, download and install VLC media player. It supports most codecs "out of the box" without the need for adding any.

Why would he(anyone) need to do that if it isnt causing the(any) issue? The post seems so random without any other information! :p

For example, I have WMP installed and its not causing me any grief...

Ok I'll uninstall chrome and try that see if it fixes anything. A Google search took me to the seven forum, apparently windows media player is the cause of this for some people, after I try the browser thing (if the problem persists) I plan to disable windows media player through the control panel, is there an alternative to windows media player? Thanks guys

Why would he(anyone) need to do that if it isnt causing the(any) issue? The post seems so random without any other information! :p

For example, I have WMP installed and its not causing me any grief...

See the above he posted. As for WMP, IMHO it's bloated and takes up too much in the way of system resources for what it does. It doesn't support many codecs without adding additional downloaded packs (sometimes those that run in the background taking up more in the way of resources), and I have a fundamental disagreement with any program that has a "user experience feedback" function (i.e. it tracks your data and usage) whether it has the ability to disable or not. VLC on the other hand, is lite, small and will play just about everything without adding any additional codecs etc. It even plays .m2ts files (blu-ray audio/video files). The only thing I wish it would do that it doesn't is play a blu-ray disk without the need to go and find the files on the disk and play them (minor annoyance IMHO).

I didn't have to do much to WMP, all i did was change the directory under which it searches for media, I made it a very specific directory to keep it from searching too much, i will try WINAmp though I love the Android App and I imagine it would allow some connectivity =)

Actually i have the same problem.After sometime from starting-up my win7 doing normal stuff,i notice that my CPU usage sticks at 25-30% even i am not doing anything and the processes running in Task Manager are the same of start-up.But if i log off , CPU is back to normal again with below 10% and all good till it happens again,So what do you think?!

Actually i have the same problem.After sometime from starting-up my win7 doing normal stuff,i notice that my CPU usage sticks at 25-30% even i am not doing anything and the processes running in Task Manager are the same of start-up.But if i log off , CPU is back to normal again with below 10% and all good till it happens again,So what do you think?!
Intel Rapid Start technology seems to be a big resource hog. To see what's up pop open your task manager and under CPU click on resource monitor, then click on CPU again and check the percentage of your CPU being used by certain resources, report back then :)

hmm,i did like you said but really i can't tell :(

here are the pics of Resource Monitor:-

44783935.jpg

19981383.jpg

Back