• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

256MB DDR only being recognized as 128MB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joker76

I have a stick of 256MB DDR RAM from Crucial. But for some reason, my Winodws and BIOS say I only have 128MB. Do I have a bad stick of RAM?

Joker76 said:
I have a stick of 256MB DDR RAM from Crucial. But for some reason, my Winodws and BIOS say I only have 128MB. Do I have a bad stick of RAM?

Do you have another stick to test in this system? Have you tried the memory in another computer? It sounds bad but to make sure you should eliminate the possibilities of other reasons.

No, I don't have another stick to test in the system and no I don't have another system to test the RAM in. I have 4 other computers, but this is the only one running DDR.

Do you have crashes, hangups, system freezes or other system instabilities? If not I would bet that either your mobo doesnt support anything over 128 mb's per slot, or windows is just being its typical self. Try going into the bios and see what it says there. Even then, that may not report correct if the mobo doesnt support 256 meg sticks of ram. Unless you are having problems and instabilities I would bet that the ram itself is fine. Either that or one side of the ram stick is not working. Let us know what you find out. :beer:

Another thing to try too, try it in another slot. Some mobo's want large sticks of ram in certain slot.

Back