• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel slot 1 the quest for 2.4v

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OptyTrooper

I have an Intel slot I Asus P2B which is a solid board with one exception. There is no Vcore adjusment... so not so solid I guess. Now there used to be articles on how to mod any slot 1 board for Vcore adjustment but these have long since vanished.

First of all the docs.

slot 1 pinout

Intel data sheet See page 19.

So obviously by closing vids 0, 1, 3 and 4 and leaving 2 open i can achieve 2.4v. This can be done using nail polish or tape on the actual processor pins themselves but it's a real PITA.

I assume the same can be acheived using a dip switch/switches connected to the corresponding pins on the back of the back of the motherboard.

The question I have is if I am looking for 2.4v only can I simply connect vid 4 to VSS? Or is this over simplifying things?

It looks like it comes connected to VSS(ground), the trick is going to be pulling it high.

On the processor package itself, measure the resistance between VID4 and ground. If there is meaningful resistance (I'd guess 1k, maybe 10k) you can hunt down that resistor and remove it and then tie the pin to a voltage source of ~2v. The easiest thing to tie it to is probably another VID pin that you know is pulled high.

You'll probably need to go through the processor and figure out which pins are currently pulled high and which are pulled low, then you can adjust them as needed.

Alternatively that board has to have a voltage regulator and if it has a regulator it has a feedback pin, a standard voltage mod may be easier.

If the pins on the CPU are connected to Vih (high) and VSS (low) via resistors you could indeed put a set of DIP switches on the motherboard to manually set the VID. More time consuming than a voltmod, but no worry about OVP.

Thanks Bob. I need to look up the VRM and see what the skinny on the OVP is though it would be nice to have a set of switches so I could play to my hearts content.

Back