• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1 512mb Stick or 2 256mb Sticks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

airw0lf

Registered
Are there any advantages of putting in 2 256mb sticks rather than 1 512mb stick?

I'm just worried because at some sites, it's actually cheaper to buy 1 512mb stick of PC150 memory (which I was planning to do) than 2 256mb sticks of PC150 memory. Meaning, I'd save one memory slot on my mobo AND get it for cheaper? What gives?

One more question... I have a Abit KT7A mobo that I bought a while back that's running with PC133 CAS-3 memory (silly me). I'm planning on upgrading it, but should I get PC150 or go for DDR? Thanks.

Naturally if you decide on DDR your going to need a new mobo and memory

My last board I ran 2 sticks of Pc150+ at Cas 2-2-2

Its harder to find 512meg sticks of PC150 that will actually run at Cas 2-2-2 but it can be found.

PS Welcome to the Forums!!

airw0lf said:
Are there any advantages of putting in 2 256mb sticks rather than 1 512mb stick?

I'm just worried because at some sites, it's actually cheaper to buy 1 512mb stick of PC150 memory (which I was planning to do) than 2 256mb sticks of PC150 memory. Meaning, I'd save one memory slot on my mobo AND get it for cheaper? What gives?

One more question... I have a Abit KT7A mobo that I bought a while back that's running with PC133 CAS-3 memory (silly me). I'm planning on upgrading it, but should I get PC150 or go for DDR? Thanks.

Well, 2x256 would overclock better than 1x512.. Other than that there's no other difference. I would recommend smaller modules than one big one.

Read your mobo manual to find out about max. DIMM size supported. My mobo only supports DIMMs upto 256MB so I had to but two 256MB sticks. Sometimes there are other limitations like large modules having to be registered etc.

Welcome to the forums, my friend. ---As my best friend put it "if you have 2x256mb cards vs 1x512mb card and you have a stick that goes bad, usually with the 2x combination you still have a 256mb card that is good and will work. but if you have 1x512mb card and it goes bad then you have nothing. and your computer will not run." A bit of personal choice and preference if you ask me. but there are combinations that will work better with your board than others. Just look at some benchmark results. And do your homework. Don't be afraid to ask questions. It is a lot cheaper than hindsight. I myself prefer using the most the DIMM will support. So I bought a DDR pc2100 512mb Micron card.

I would recommend using smaller MB chips of RAM also. Just remember that if it is 256MB or larger, to turn the 4-bank interleave on. It "splits" your memory between the 4 banks. Thats on a new board if you get DDR though. But definately go for DDR over PC150. Definately. Other than that good luck and happy overclocking.

airw0lf said:
Ah thanks, yeah that makes sense. What brand do you recommend for pc150? KingMax? OCZ?
I'd say look for the Kingmax. I've got two sticks one 256mb and one 512mb both oc'd together at 158.9 fsb, cas 2-2-2-5, Turbo 1.

Back