• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Volt modding a 670 :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xander89

Hey guys got a bit of advice of blue but i wanted to put it out there so i am 100% on what i am doing.

Basically i want to hit some higher volts on my card. I can hit in the 1300-1330 region with 1.175 so with some moarrrrrr volts I'm sure i could get into the 1400 range which would be sweet.

Basically according to blue i only have to do the GPU resistor shorting. So in the following link

http://kingpincooling.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1682

As i understood it was just the following that needs to be done in order to get >1.22.

vidmod3.jpg

Is that correct? Also once i have done that now would i actually tweak the voltages in OS? What program would actually allow me to do that? ( i assumed msi afterburner etc will not)

Would probably have been better posted in the benchmarking section as I would imagine few normal owners would do the volt mod. I'll put in a request to get it moved for you.

Moved to volt modding.

That mod is for a GTX680, and its PCB is markedly different than the reference GTX670. There is likely a mod that will work on a GTX670, but to move forward with that mod would be taking a large gamble. Yours is a non-reference GTX670, so the chances of the mod functioning right on that card (if you can find identical parts) just went from slim to near zero.

Regardless, volt modding doesn't give you more control in the OS. It gives you manual voltage control by way of variable resistors or, in the case of TiN's 680 mod, dip switches. Performing a hard mod != added voltage control in-OS. It allows you to raise the voltage at will manually, then use the core/mem sliders in-OS more effectively.

Volt modding WILL at the very least run your card at higher voltages such that a stock or even aftermarket air cooler will have a difficult time coping. If you don't have a water block on your card, feel like taking a chance on early death on air or plan on putting a GPU pot on it, I'd steer clear of volt modding your 670.

If you have a non-reference 670, especially if it isn't a 680 reference PCB, you'll need an entirely different mod.

Just performing the mod in the picture will give you around 1.4v at all times.
It must be done with the entire DIP switch VID mod.
For your purposes you're better off attacking the vsense pin, that will give you trimmer based voltage, up to 0.16v more than stock.
It will almost certainly involve removing and replacing a 0402 resistor though. Those are the 1mm x 0.5mm resistors.
Are you up for that?
If you are, I can try to walk you through it, but be aware that you are A) killing the warranty and B) risking killing the card permanently.

thanks for the replies guys. The 670 i have has a 680 pcb, i think it is identical to the 680 one bar a little sticker shoved over the 680 bit. As i understand it they have just lazzzzerrrdddddd off some of the cores so the actual board itself should be pretty much identical. So surely the same process applies?

My card is currently under water with a 680 block on it+backplate. ( loop is a 240 rad and 360 rad and cpu block ( rasa 750 pump rez combo) i get load temps of around 50-51 c when loading both the cpu and gpu. ( prime and furmark) loading on its own i seet around 47-49c. ( this is all at the 1330mhz core clock and 7070 mem clock) Adding the dip switch seems like a right bitchhhhhh. Is there any way i could potentially mod it to give say 1.3v solid?

These are all newbie questions. Am happy to do background reading if yall throw me some links to avoid wasting any of your time :)

Mate, have you done this already?

I'm at 1.213v with software...modded 670 bios. I can easily point you to it.

heya i never got round to it. I have been crazy busy for the last couple of month, been sorting out a flat i was renting in brighton, absolute clusterf*** atm. But its almost all sorted. Yer if you could mate that would be wikid.

Ive also been getting driver crashes recently no matter what clock im at, really weird :shrug:

heya i never got round to it. I have been crazy busy for the last couple of month, been sorting out a flat i was renting in brighton, absolute clusterf*** atm. But its almost all sorted. Yer if you could mate that would be wikid.

Ive also been getting driver crashes recently no matter what clock im at, really weird :shrug:

You on 306.93?
I saw a guy that had that same problem...What 670 card you got?
Expect a pm. :thup:

Back