• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Probe temp readings,are they right?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ShadowCat66

I was just wondering what kind of temps everyone is getting.I'm using a PTE-4 with a willy 2.0 @2.2 and voltage at 1.70 and the probe says 123 idle.That seems high! Or not?Just wondering what you guys are getting.My probe ver is 2.14.07

That's not right. I have the P4T-E with a 1.9 @ 2.185 (115 FSB) Stock heatsink Fan combo. I had the same kind of readings with the Asus probe. I installed MBM 5 and found that the readings from the MBM5 were identical to the readings in the bios. While the Asus probe readings for the MB were accurate, the cpu readings were very high. WAY OFF!

Idle temps on my system are within a degree or 2 of the MB temps. Full load is between 35 - 42 C depending on the ambient temp.

I would recommend that you dump the probe for the Motherboard Monitor.

rek :)

Many, if not most, people using ASUS AMD boards have complained that they get exactly 10c too much from probe. I seem to be one of the few who doesn't. However I wouldn't blindly recommend MBM. I tried MBM5 and got insane readings, reading like 250c on my CPU, 500c on my mainboard, my 12v line was something like 75v or 0.0001v. It was all extreme stupidness. The only real way to know is to test with external equipment that you know is sound. Volt meters on the molex connectors and some kind of independent thermometer.

Nothing blind about my recommendation at all. This, of course is under the assumption that the hardware monitor sensors are accurate. I suggested that the MBM accurately reads the values of these sensors for me on my system.

Shadowcat's system is very close to the same as mine, so I think it is certainly worth a try for him.

Fair enough, I was just throwing my 2 cents in based on my experiences with MBM.

I guess what i was looking for was a confirmation on what I thought was true.I thank both of you for your info and will try to find a software moniter that comes close to a hardware probe.Thanks Guys!

You can find it at their site:

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

It takes a bit of time to set it up. But again, its worth the effort if you like to know whats going on with your board ie: temps voltages etc. also has a logging feature thats pretty cool as well.

Good luck!

rek

MBM certainly ended my frustration on my cpu temps. Asus's probe you would think would read the temp correctly. Probe reported my P4 1.7 ghz cpu temp @ 131 idle and 163 under load. It reported the cpu fan rpm for the OEM Intel HSF to be @ 2700 rpm. It even report this rpm in the BIOS which is weird because the BIOS reports the cpu temp accurately. Usually hovers around 85 degrees F. and 112 under load. Two things I got out of the experience was I lapped the OEM HS which brought the temp down about 4 to 5 degrees but I also learned a valuable lesson. And that is to get a second opionion before cutting out a hole in your computers side panel to fit your 6 inch 12V. Rotron Major fan.

MBM 5 seems to be working just fine.I have my 2.0 @2.2 and while running prime it reaches 41C.I also lapped my swiftech 478 and my chip.I sure do appreceiate the info I just didnt like not knowing what they where at.

Just to add some more numbers to this post...I have a P4 1.7 on the p4t-e. MBM temperatures 41-43 C while Folding at ambient 23 C. Stock HSF.

20 C higher than ambient concerns me. Is this normal...or should I try reseating the HSF?

I am assuming that the "folding @ 23" is a typo and that you are suggesting that the Motherboard temp is @ 23. My cpu temp will get between 8-12 degrees C over the Motherboard temp @ full load (playing mcm2) 41- 43 under load is not really a temp that should concern you.

You may wish to remove the heatsink and clean it up, check for abnormalities. Some guys will go so far as to lap (flat sanding)their heatsinks. It usually isn't necessary with the P4s though, cause they just don't get that hot. Reinstall it with some quality thermal compound. Arctic Silver II seems to work best for me.

Do you have plenty of case cooling otherwise? Plenty of case ventilation makes a difference for sure.

Good luck!

Portishead said:
MBM temperatures 41-43 C while Folding at ambient 23 C.

rekless said:
I am assuming that the "folding @ 23" is a typo and that you are suggesting that the Motherboard temp is @ 23.

"Ambient 23c" means room temp of 23c, not board temp of 23c. Cpu temps 20 C above room temp isn't bad, neither is a folding temp of 43c.

Ok, I didn't understand that. I am aware of the ambient temp I was just jumping to conclusions.

Thanks for clearing that up eo.

rek <------ retarded. :)

My asus is reporting 40c with a 120mm fan ducted to mc 462 with a duron 800@958 and my shuttle is reporting 35c using the same type of duct but on a mcxc 370 and a tbird [email protected] seems like the asus is over reporting on both intel and amd boards.

rekless said:
Ok, I didn't understand that. I am aware of the ambient temp I was just jumping to conclusions.

Thanks for clearing that up eo.

rek <------ retarded. :)

No problem. :)

Thanks! I just stripped my puter down today...got rid of the icky thermal mat on the HSF and chipset coolers. I lapped them both and re-set with AS3.

After being up and going for about 1 hr Folding I MBM still shows me at 42C. I will not worry about this, until I start OCing in a couple of weeks.

I have 2-80mm Sunnon's in, 2 -80mm antec fans out + power supply...and have modded my case to open up the fan holes adding grills in favor of the stamped sheet metal.

Me thinks I am in good shape....Thanks:)

Portishead said:
Thanks! I just stripped my puter down today...got rid of the icky thermal mat on the HSF and chipset coolers. I lapped them both and re-set with AS3.

After being up and going for about 1 hr Folding I MBM still shows me at 42C. I will not worry about this, until I start OCing in a couple of weeks.

I have 2-80mm Sunnon's in, 2 -80mm antec fans out + power supply...and have modded my case to open up the fan holes adding grills in favor of the stamped sheet metal.

Me thinks I am in good shape....Thanks:)

If you put a duct on the door over the cpu's fan and you should shave at least 5c off that temp. Just be mindful of the dust potential.

Back