• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan playing up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

keny

Ok I have a problem with on of my fans, it's a good one so I'm trying to get it working again. Here's the story, if plugged into the fan header on the mobo or direct to a molex adapter I loose control for the fan speed, it just runs slow (which is bad) but I know it's not the header or the adapter as my other identical fan works fine on these. It's not the speed adjuster (little dial thingy you turn to adjust speed) its probably got a real name but to me it's a "dial thingy" as I've tried the good fans adjuster and it doesn't work and if you take the dial thingy off the fan it just runs slow no matter what you assign in the bios, as does the good fan so I'm not too worried about that, what I want to know is there a way to make this run full pelt all the time ?

Dial thingy connection
⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇
F891AFA1-1FFB-41E3-B9D9-739D52338B1A-302-0000004666D1AA46_zps209d5319.jpg

Back of fan
⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇
536857DF-B014-4666-91D7-233B47899706-302-000000465B88A96C_zpsbab55611.jpg

Sorry for crappy iPhone images

you could try to follow the two wires in and solder them together that should make it run full speed, but on the speed control, no idear :\ sorry i couldnt be more help

Do you think bridging the gap between the two prongs on the speed dial thingy connection would make it run full pelt ? I would just do it but I don't want to burn the fan header out as there's only three on the board I'm currently trying and the cpu cooler uses two and the fan for the NB is using the other, so could really do without trashing one !

idk if u have a multi meter you could see how much the little potentiometer "dial" changes the resistance, seems like if its slow with infinite resistance (no connection)[i think thats right?] then less resistance on the connection will speed it up, though i could be wrong :p

Odds are decent that the knob is a simple variable resistor and shorting those two pins will give you full speed.

I'd measure like wagex said rather than just shorting 'em for giggles, as if we're wrong and you short 'em it's goodbye fan.

Ok measures resistance on the prongs for the dial and it's coming out at -1.25v on my good fan but no reading whatsoever on this busted one :shrug: any ideas ?

Edit: just tested the connections with my multimeter on the 20v setting and it reads -3.1v on the good one using this setting if that makes any sense .
#noob alert

put it on ohms :D and measure the two holes i guess instead of the prongs, whichever goes to the knobbie

Here's what the fan looks like complete , 3 pin hook up with the dial attached, now I know the dial is not faulty as it works on the other fan I have (same model) do I'm lost as to how it getting working full pelt, as it still spins just not fast and there's no readout from the prongs on the dial connection?
6B44A4BC-D7E3-48A3-8EE0-C868B01CA1B3-302-00000061CC8B09C1_zpsd73a0a30.jpg

hmm whaat? lol

unplug the connector here and measure the two holes on the knob side of the plug with the multi meter on ohms
wires.jpg

That plug doesn't seem
To be faulty as it works fine on my other identical fan, it seems to be something with the fan, also just jumped the prongs and still no speed increase :shrug:

ah, that fan is indeed a turd :( im sorry sir were going to have to put her down

NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:cry:

I wonder why it still works at low speed and not high speed :bang head, ive never seen a fan with these connections on them marked VR, i guess something to do with the voltage regulator idk maybe thats bit the dust:confused:

Attachments

• 536857DF-B014-4666-91D7-233B47899706-302-000000465B88A96C_zpsbab55611.jpg
    536857DF-B014-4666-91D7-233B47899706-302-000000465B88A96C_zpsbab55611.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 56
Cram a penny in between those two solder points. :p

Edit: Keny, I was interesting in joining the Banching team but the link in your sig brings me to something called the Benching Team. :) British pronunciation?

Last edited:
The "dial thingy" is a potentiometer or variable resistor, hence the "VR" marking on the PCB :)

Cram a penny in between those two solder points. :p

Edit: Keny, I was interesting in joining the Banching team but the link in your sig brings me to something called the Benching Team. :) British pronunciation?

OMG ! That's been there for ages and you're the first person to notice, I best edit it :facepalm:

The "dial thingy" is a potentiometer or variable resistor, hence the "VR" marking on the PCB :)

:thup: I guess that part of the fan is busted then, seeing asthough it won't speed up, even after jumping the potentiometer pins ?

Back