• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird OC'ing results with 1.6A and TH7-II?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mikeward

Registered
After finally getting my system up and going, I started to try to overclock it...At all settings, I fixed my AGP/PCI speeds. Are these results weird?:

1. At whatever setting above normal FSB speeds, the system would sometimes let me do a soft reboot and sometimes hang at POST 26 (but doing a hard reboot worked all the time)

2. I got to 131 MHz FSB and booted into Windows. No apparent problems (other than #1), but when I go above that (132, 133, 134), I get an error while booting into windows (While Initializing Device NDIS: Windows protection error. You need to restart your system.)

3. And at 132, 133, and 134, the system seems to think that the RAMBUS/Host speeds are ALWAYS 399/133 instead of what the really should be (396/132, 402/134).

Is there something I'm missing? Or are these results normal? Others seem to have been able to get their 1.6A's up to 133 MHz FSB without trouble...

Mike
-------
1.6A on an Abit TH7-II @ 2096MHz, Intel retail cooling
512MB of Kingston RDRAM
Leadtek WinFast GeForce 2 MX 64MB (yes, I need to replace it)
Sony CRX175A1 24x/10x/40x
IBM Deskstar GXP 60Gig
SB PCI128

that error usually goes away if you up the voltage a little. other than that, did you install windows fresh when you got the new cpu? reformatting when you get a new board/cpu and overclock helps more than you think. moreso a new board, but you never know.

Oh wow, I got so sick of seeing While Initializing Device NDIS: Windows protection error. You need to restart your system when I first started trying to overclock my Northwood. It was giving me major fits. I bet you're using Windows 98 first edition, because there is a bug in the ndis.vdx file that absolutely will not let you go higher than 2.1 gig (16X131=2096 MHz). There is an explanation of this problem on the Microsoft website, but they refuse to offer a patch because they expect you to buy a newer version of Windows. Actually, all you need to do is replace your ndis.vdx file in the C:\windows\system directory with one from the WIN98 second edition (version 4.10.2222).

Here is a link to a thread I started which contains the Microsoft link that I mentioned earlier.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=65451&highlight=second+edition

Last edited:
that error usually goes away if you up the voltage a little

The Windows error? Or the error that it won't do a soft-reboot?

Oh wow, I got so sick of seeing While Initializing Device NDIS: Windows protection error. You need to restart your system when I first started trying to overclock my Northwood..........

Oooh...that ****es me off. Guess I'll just have to be happy with 2096 until I upgrade to XP in the next few days...

Mike

Back