• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How fried is this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
you may be able to jump the gap with a piece of wire. Is this on the power circuits for the backlight by chance? If so then there is likely one of the lights that is bad. I have one sitting here that I am debating whether to just throw it out.

No, it's the board that controls the panel, the backlights go straight from the other board (power board).

I know for sure that I can't fix this, it's an issue of if there is someone here that is capable of doing it or not.

The question is, why did that trace fry.
Fixing the trace is easy, replacing the blown to hell part (likely a diode) is easy (if we know the specs).
Finding the problem that killed them is hard.
That's a very small trace so it's not supposed to be handling any meaningful current, something failed (almost certainly not the diode) that fried that trace.

The question is, why did that trace fry.
Fixing the trace is easy, replacing the blown to hell part (likely a diode) is easy (if we know the specs).
Finding the problem that killed them is hard.
That's a very small trace so it's not supposed to be handling any meaningful current, something failed (almost certainly not the diode) that fried that trace.

Something outside of the monitor arced. Same reason my laptop is hissing at me now.

America. Home of unclean electricity.

Looks like an easy fix, just not with the picture provided. lol

Just because it fried from an outside source doesn't mean the components connected to that trace aren't fried either.

In fact it looks like the one component in the second pic has a hole blown in it.

I'd be happy to give it a go for a few dollars and supplies, but others here would probably do a cleaner job.

Yeah, that's what I attempted to take a picture of. When I looked today I actually found another diode blown on that side. Bobn said he'd take a stab at it, so I'll probably send him the board on monday.

Ya, definitely can't promise anything other than that I'll try. We'll see how it goes.
I'll post pics and updates and such.

its not uncommon for the those little transformers for the backlights to arc, when they start to malfunction theres alot of voltage there. I had one that was malfunctioning arc enough to Leave a black burn on my hand with a entry wound.

Back