• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am I limited in overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Über~PhLuBB

Jedi Knight Senior
I always used to think the more you pay, the more you get, so naturally, when I bought Crucial PC133, I went for one of the most expensive sticks, which had ECC. Is this limiting my overclocking? Currently (I dont have a GFD, so i cant change the multiplier) I'm running at 105MHz (PCI + FSB = PC133), My Athlon 950 is at 1GHz, but virtually anything higher us very unstable. If I disable ECC, would I be able to overclock more?

definately, dont get ecc nemore unless u run a server, they slow you down and are not neccessary for normal ppl... so what mobo u use? that might limit you too if its a piecer

Lt. Max said:
definately, dont get ecc nemore unless u run a server, they slow you down and are not neccessary for normal ppl... so what mobo u use? that might limit you too if its a piecer

It's an Abit K7A. If I just turn off ECC in BIOS, would that help at all?

cas 2 will hold you back too...but it depends if u wanna lose cas 2, iits about 1-2% extra performance, but u might get better wit the higher fsb.. i dunno.. try. did the ecc turn off help?

Ambient case temp is 23C, CPU is at 48 under F@H load measured with a thermocouple placed on the side of the die. It's never been 48 before, usually it's around 43-45 under full load. I'll have to investigate that.

As for the ECC and what not, it didnt work. Still wont go past 110 no matter what, and even 107 isn't feeling cooperative.

ECC is not good for overclocking at all. Some get a little lucky with it but does not compare with unbuffered at all. Even turning off ECC in the BIOS doesn't change the physical makeup of the chip and that's the main reason it doesn't overclock very well. Even though ECC isn't being used, the registers and extra bit checking hardware is still built into the chip and hinders higher than rated frequncies.

Best bet is to ditch it and go with some unbuffered if you want something to overclock decently with.

It was necessary for me to get registered ECC with my MPX board and I was able to get 145MHz out of it (PC2100). I considered myself very lucky.

If you don't need ECC, don't get ECC. It serves a specific purpose and that purpose doesn't include overclocking at all.

Back