• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-6OXET vs. ABIT ST6 questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lievn

GA-6OXET vs. ABIT ST6 cause SIS 635T won't work

Ok guys, I've tried an Pcchips M700 (SiS 635T chipset) motherboard with two different 1.2 celerons. The darn thing just won't boot properly.
It only works when I set the FSB at 66Mhz.
If I use 100Mhz FSB, then I get the harddrives setup, but I don't get any further. The best I got was a boot from a floppy disk and even that didn't work all the time.

So I'm looking for a board that will justify the Tualatin chips.
Now I was wondering what to go for.

I can get the GA-6OXET and the ABIT ST6-R for about 137$ or I can get the ABIT ST6 for about 107$ .

I think the GA-6OXET and the ABIT ST6-R are a bit expensive for a board that hasn't got much future going for it, but still I wana do a very nice air cooled OC.

Have the Gigabyte issues been sorted out lately?
Does the f10 BIOS give any benefit?

I'm tending towards the Gigabyte because of the extra features it has.
But is it a board u can trust?
Does the onboard 5.1 sound chip do a good job?
(maybe I can chip a bit of my budget by using its onboard sound)

Hope u can shed some light on the matter...

Last edited:
Nobody interested in replying?
OK I know it's maybe the 1000th time that u read this question, but I just can't make up my mind.
BTW I'm gonna use OCZ Micro BGA PC-180 memory with this setup.

Last edited:
hey, you know of a place that you can buy the xet from? let me know :) ive been looking for this board for a long *** time.
ill give u some redbull if you can hook me up ;)

BigRed said:
hey, you know of a place that you can buy the xet from? let me know :) ive been looking for this board for a long *** time.
ill give u some redbull if you can hook me up ;)
I'd love to help u out BigRed, but I'm affraid that the shop where I can get it, is a bit further away then u think.
Because I'm from Belgium u see... :)
But I can send u one :D

BTW so I guess u would go for the Gigabyte? ;)

lievn said:

I'd love to help u out BigRed, but I'm affraid that the shop where I can get it, is a bit further away then u think.
Because I'm from Belgium u see... :)
But I can send u one :D

BTW so I guess u would go for the Gigabyte? ;)
hmm how much would shipping be, and how much would the mobo be in usd?

BigRed said:

hmm how much would shipping be, and how much would the mobo be in usd?
the motherboard costs 157 Euro so that's about 137 US Dollars.
I'm trying to get a discount from the supplier.

Don't know about the shipping costs though....
Depends on where u're from...

Ask yourself:

- are you uncomfortable fooling around with the motherboard (voltage mod)?

- do you require 1/5 and 1/6 dividers; rephrase: do you plan to run your cpu at high fsbs?

Right away if you are yes in one of the two, go for the XET, may give you less grief than the ST6 overall.

The creative onboard audio is just a extra goodie feature. The dual bios is pretty unless you like to fool around with the bios.

On the ST6, you need to do the voltage mod should you require it, and dividers go up to 1/4. Your components might not like the 1/4 divider if the specs get WAY out of their range.

I prefer ABit although Gigabyte isn't too bad at all. Remember though, both boards are Tualatin compatible.

If the XET is the same price as the ST6-R, go for the XET just for the "extra" features. You'll probably get more bang for the buck with the Gigabyte.

Last edited:
Thanks Bonka, this was the kind of reply I was looking for.
And I think my answer on your two questions would be yes, so if I can still get it (BigRed has got me a little bit worried) I'll go for the Gigabyte.

I just got a new ST6 for tualatin PIII and it is just as good as the other ST6 I got. New box though.

I like the XET-C so much I gave my Soyo board to my
brother and now am running 2 XET-C's.

I got the F10 bios in both, seems to work great.
Dont know about the sound cards. Got SB live's in both.

Only problem I got is the OCZ PC150 I got in the P3-S
system wont run 166 or over...... even at 3-3-3 7/9.

Where did you get that PC180 stuff at ?

Will it really run that fast, or faster ?

Well I just got the 6OXET (so not the C-version).
I'm now trying to tweak a Celeron 1200 from the philippines (7139A184-0507 SL5Y5) currently running 1500Mhz.
But I can't use the full potential of the memory with this CPU, so I might get an 1100A or a 1000A .

I bought the OCZ memory second hand a while back and don't know where the seller got it from.
I've used it with an iWill KK266-R motherboard and got it stable at 163Mhz CAS2 don't know wich was the limiting factor.

I'll let u guyz know how the story develops. :)

BTW I also got a 1200 from Malay ( Q138A651-0074 SL5XS), any ideas wich would be the better overclocker?

lievn said:
BTW I also got a 1200 from Malay ( Q138A651-0074 SL5XS), any ideas wich would be the better overclocker?

You gotta put that sucker in your XET as well and test it's limit :D Have you reached the limit on your Philly Celly?

not yet...
(haven't got the time at the moment)
Fastest at this point is 1533Mhz stable...
But when I rebooted, the dual BIOS seemed to pop up and it went back to the F7 BIOS (wich doesn't recognize the Tualatin so well).
Had the same thing last night, but after shutting of all power and booting up again this morning the new f10 BIOS was loaded again.

Not used to that Dual BIOS thingy...

[update]
Ok, highest setting that I can get is 1600Mhz with max voltage (1.8v).
If I even try to set it to 134 it's no go, no boot at all.
Temperature should be around 38°C.
Too hot? More voltage?
Or is it the end for my SL5Y5?
The SL5XS doesn't seem to do better...

BTW would an 1100A or 1000A with higer FSB beat the 1200 at 133Mhz?

Where did you get the XET? I know of many people that want one after using my system and damn are they hard to find!

Just mailed a Gigabyte reseller here in Belgium and he got it for me in a day.

Back