• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Really basic 133/133 huh?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ugmore Baggage

This is a stupid newbie question, enjoy but when you stop giggling please answer.

I have a setting in my bios for the cpu/memory bus like 100/100, 133/133, etc except the differences are closer. I know it "belongs" on 133/133 but that's about it.

That's the frontside bus right? If so, when I change those settings will other components be affected, like hard drive and PCI devices? I keep reading about "PCI divider" but the authors all seem to think I know what they're talking about. Even the ones that slow down and explain parts of it go way over my head (and then usually end with "if this is over your head, you aren't ready to try overclocking").

that is fsb/memory bus that is just the starting point though, im guessing you have an ASUS? if you do and your chip is 266 fsb then set it to 133/133 then start overclocking the fsb from there as 133 is stock...

Some motherboards allow you to set the RAM speed for a different speed than the FSB. This holds true with newwer Slot 1 motherboards that I am exsperienced in. If you have anything newer than that I could be wrong.

It's an Iwill - the first DDR board, which I got a few months after it was released. I should have got an Asus (A7M). Hindsight is 20-20

Let me rephrase the question: if I overclock the setting I mentioned will that affect other parts of my system, like hard drive, CDs, etc

If not, what the heck is that PCI divider for? Mobo reviewers make a big deal about it.

funnyperson, yeah that's about all I knew already. I want to know the dangers or at least the scope of what I'm doing.

Tweak, mine doesn't have that ability. They have to be the same.

Back