• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Changing the multiplier&voltage on Sandy Bridge CPUs without motherboard support

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Toshvan

Registered
Changing the multiplier&voltage on Sandy Bridge CPUs without motherboard support

I hope I'm in the right forum.
I just want to know if there's some "DIY" ghetto modd for changing the multiplier and voltage on Sandy Bridge CPUs... Like in old days when you could connect/solder/paint appropriate pins in the CPU socket or the CPU itself (or PII 100/66MHz change of FSB via CPU pin).

You can do hard mods for voltage. But as far as changing the multi you need a motherboard that allows for multiplier changes.

Tnx, I guessed that since I couldn't find anything on the net... I just hoped there's maybe something that slipped my attention. :)

Sadly Intel did a very good job at locking the multiplier on the locked chips, and all the multiplier settings are digital and done in firmware now.

I guess reverse engineering the firmware is not a easy thing to do, specially today with all those colorful GUI firmwares. Have people tried it?

I guess reverse engineering the firmware is not a easy thing to do, specially today with all those colorful GUI firmwares. Have people tried it?

Reverse engineering firmware exists, but many methods exists to "protect" the source code... Btw, reverse engineering has to deal with intellectual property so I don't think anyone in this forum will tell you how to do it :)

Since RE seems not to be your primary question, I will come back to your main subject: why would you like to change the multiplier without the MOBO? What is your project?
This way we could help you more efficiently :thup:

...why would you like to change the multiplier without the MOBO?
I have always enjoyed squeezing more performance from cheap hardware. I was not following hardware news for some time and since Sandy Bridge it seems you have to pay Intel a premium to be able to overclock at all. You have to pay Intel for a unlocked CPU, you have to buy the top end chipsets since they are the only ones "allowed" to overclock... Value chipset like B75 has everything I need, yet I have to buy Z77 even as I don't care for things like SSD caching, SLI, PCI-Express 3.0, etc...

Not a good time for the overclocker on extremely low budget.
Shame, it was kinda satisfying only pay the very minimum and get most out of it.

I understand :)

But if you are extremely low budget, wouldn't an AMD fit you better? Chips are good enough, often with OCing feature and for far less money than the Intel one's ;)

Yes AMD seems OK but I already got an i-2500K CPU and a pair of RAM sticks from Mushkin (997000 - 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 7-8-7-24 Redline). Friend was doing an upgrade and he kind of dumped those on me for half price. :)

So Intel it is, and seemingly Asus P8Z77-M as I'm discussing in another thread.

Yes AMD seems OK but I already got an i-2500K CPU and a pair of RAM sticks from Mushkin (997000 - 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 7-8-7-24 Redline). Friend was doing an upgrade and he kind of dumped those on me for half price. :)

So Intel it is, and seemingly Asus P8Z77-M as I'm discussing in another thread.

Ok! :)

Then, for almost the same price, you have this MOBO:

Asrock Extreme 4
which is really great by the way :thup:

EDIT: I've just read quickly the other thread and since you say you can't get it in macedonia, could you give us a link to the website where you would order the MOBO? :)
It would allow us to advice you more efficiently, knowing what is available for you ;)

could you give us a link to the website where you would order the MOBO? :)
That website is going to make your head hurt, you definitely don't want to go through that.
Thanks m8 but you really don't need to do waste your time, looking through that website motherboards. I have been doing that for days, they only carry current Asus boards with some older Asrok boards.

I need an OC board, but it also needs to have DVI and HDMI outputs. Given the budget, the only option is Asus P8Z77-M. There's a P8Z77-V LX option which is more expensive but also has only 4+1 VRM. P8Z77-V LE even more expensive and not much better VRM. P8Z77-V is good but definitely out of budget. It would be great if I could get my hands on some of the more basic Asus Z68 boards, but that shop only has one Z68 board, ROG Gene Z. Which is a great board, but expensive and has no DVI out.

Bah I might wait for a month, and see if some shop here comes up with new Asrock boards. Anyway thanks everybody for the help, you guys are what makes these forums great. :)

Back