• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vmod HD5450

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheNewbie

Needing some help vmodding this Msi x5450. I have read the Vmod sticky and other how to threads and I am at a point I would like someone to double check/correct me before I go further. Looking to do a pencil mod or hard mod vcore vmem if possible. I have located the controllers on google one is a uP6161 and the other is a LCX125. I think the uP616 is for the core not sure though picture is attached and orientaion is the top of the card left of core mid pcb. I have not pinned anything out yet just wanted to confirm what I am doing is correct first. I can solder but not to adept at it I have a multimeter but not hardware resistors etc. needed.
Thanks Jason

Attachments

• uP6161.jpg
    uP6161.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 1,021
Can you link to the thread(s) you're referring to, because I'm coming up w/ different locations on the PCB for the HD 5450 Vmod.

You look correct on the up6101, if that is the correct controller. Just measure pin 4 and find somewhere that is connected to that, if you can't hook directly to the pin 4. The other one is hard to tell if that is the correct controller. We need more pics to be sure. Usually they are not that close together.
Show a couple pics of the front and back. Or look to see if you see any other possibilities.

Those two and a PM25LV512 which has do do w/ memory addressing/ input output/bios?? from what I've found. I'll add more pictures tonight.

Good news that u6161 is the controller. I pinned out the whole trace from FB I think and it was about 2kohm to ground. I Went radioshack last night a picked up some 10kohm 15 turn trimmers and a mini solder iron. I went from FB leg to the mosfet ground and at 5 turns from max resistance is reading 1.25v . I have pretty good results so far because be4 I could only hit 770mhz on the core be4 crashing msi kombustor now I cam hit 945mhz be4 it has issues. So my next ? Is with good air cooling what's the max vgpu I should use when loaded? Temps are 36c when loaded currently.

only 36c? lol your gonna run out of voltage before you overheat, it will just pop more than likely lol, id do the memory next to keep up with the gpu

Roger that :) I figured the max Vgpu was the notch just before it goes pop. I will try my luck at the ram v next. my goal is 1.2GHz well see :thup::

I suspect safe voltages are the same as for 5870 and 5770 cards. Are you running this 24/7 or for benching?

Just benching. wish I had learned vmodding be4 I would have entered this hd5450 in the contest @ the hwbot.

Well I think its going to be safe to say I can not reach 1200 :( I am 2 1/2 turn from 0 resistance and the last 5 turns have yielded less rusults each time with the last turn only netting me 10 more mhz so 1080mhz now @ 1.37v also the temps are getting out of control peaking at 40c sometimes lol. Thinking about just Cranking it and see if it will boot :thup:

Last edited:
And the winner is....................................................................................................... wagex! lol well I was around the 1.78v mark and 1260mhz running 3dmark03 when all of a sudden the core went from 45c to 51c then a small pop system restarts no screen and funny smell like fresh electrionics right out of the oven :thup: next victim asus x550 ready to go. Any bets? lol

Back