• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rambus: Dispelling Myths

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SteveReno

Registered
Got this From firingsquad Website

http://firingsquad.gamers.com/features/rambus55/page4.asp
_
FiringSquad: Everyone says that RDRAM has latency issues. How does RDRAM latency compare to SDRAM? Doesn't RDRAM have a significant delay as it switches between active and standby modes?

This is another misconception. You have to make a distinction between component level and system level measurements. In the worst case when the memory system is underutilized, Rambus system latency is comparable to that of an SDRAM system. When the memory system is heavily utilized, Rambus' high bandwidth architecture that efficiently supports concurrent memory transactions results in far better latency than SDRAMs.
RDRAMs supports 4 power modes that allow performance and power consumption to be optimized. Between the two highest performance modes called active and standby there is no significant delay.
_
I always belived that RDram is a better way to go.

Well, maybe, but it doesn't really matter anymore because
Intel has announced that after this year they will have
no more systems using RDRAM. It is ....toast. :D

I'm not sad to see it go because RAMBUS was a company
people loved to hate.

zck250 said:
Why do people hate Rambus?

like people hating Intel, they don't want to spend a little extra money to get the best :cool:

Tecumseh where did you read that crap from?

Is Intel the only chip maker that supports RDRAM? Errr, I mean is there anyone else left that supports Rambus

I did lot's of reading on Rambus & most other memory & this is what i feel.

As clock speeds increase, the need for a faster memory is increased. Everyone might not agree with the Rambus's behavior , but Rambus is as fast or quicker then all ram produced today. With all the benchmarks that i seen, it is probably the only memory that will be able to keep up with AMD's and Intel's new & ever gowing clockspeeds.

TH7 II
[email protected]
Defalt Vcor
512 Rdram "Samsung"

zck250 said:
Why do people hate Rambus?

Its very expensive. And Intel had some deal where they couldn't use DDR RAM until recently.

well think about it this way...RDRAM is dual-channel....and it doesnt beat DDR333 by much...when dual-channel DDR mobos come out (Brooksdale) RDRAM will get spanked, but for northwoods i think RDRAM is the only way to go....

Rambus went up against the SDRam consortium and lost. Intel hedged its bets by backing Rambus and producing the P4.

Rambus lost its patent case. They tried to claim all SDRam technology in addition to RDRam. The rumor was they also stole RDRam technology, or at least the patent rights. If they had won, Intel would have been in a better position than AMD, maybe forever.

With the final nails in Rambus's court cases Intel doesn't want to deal with Rambus. It's the Mac of the Ram world. Actually more like an Evil version of Apple because not only do they (individually) own their technology, the nasty rumors may be true.

one of the biggest problems was RDRAm was so much more than DDR

then you had to buy RDRAM in pairs

now, DDR is about the same price as RDRAM

and all the people that said DDR will do as good in performance as RDRAM are getting closer to being correct

but...... Dual channel DDR has to be installed in pairs, so more money like RDRAM users

it was the consumers that caused the majority of the RDRAM failure

that and they have trouble making sticks bigger than 512

Correct me if i'm wrong but, as I understand it, the rambus latency is because to reach the higher memory addresses the signal has to go through all the previous chips. IE if you have 2 rimms in a system, to access the 2nd rimm, the data has to go through the first rimm. DDR doesn't have this issue, because the dimms are connected in parallel.

I personally think that AMD is better and faster for gaming than intel and all the benchmarks in 3dmark2001 are higher in the amd class. So...DDR is cheaper than RDRAM but you have to sacrafice the cpu speed if you want to go with RDRAM. AMD has better cpu's IMHO but has slightly slower ram. So what would u rather have...fast ram or fast cpu. U pick.

BTW ddr is getting faster and faster.

Back