• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 690 VOLTAGE HARDMOD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zombiewars

Hi guys,

I am an german guy and i hope my english is ok for you to understand me :D:D

So my question to you is:

I have an GTX 690 and need an tutorial for an Hardmod for it .. i have seen this nice How to do http://www.overclockers.com/guide-to-nvidia-gtx680-modifications/

So but it is for an GTX 680 and i have looked for this controller and could not find (waterblock is on it so i just see the back of the 690...)

Does anyone of you knows where this stupid controller is (is there anyone on the 690???xD) and what kind of controller this is (type)????
when i know this i can study this controller and maybe i am intelligent enough to find out what is to do :D

better way is if the modder of the GTX680 can help me or even have tried it on the 690???

So i thank you for answering me ;-)

with happy greets (i hope it is called so in english :D)

Robin Brückmann

First up, welcome!

Before we get down to the modding itself, I want to say that I strongly recommend against voltmodding your GTX 690. The stock voltage limits exist for a reason and historically speaking going over them (especially on dual GPU cards) has caused sudden hardware death.

On the actual modding, Nvidia decided to use NCP4206 controllers. Unfortunately almost nothing is known about these controllers outside of Nvidia. Based on similar controllers and the PCB layout I think I have identified the feedback pin. If I'm right, then reducing the resistance to ground will raise the voltage.
If I'm wrong, either nothing will happen or the card will die. Of course if I'm right and the voltage gets raised too high the card will die then, too.

Below is a picture with the two controllers and the pin I believe to be the feedback pin marked. Follow the trace that connects to that pin until it gets to something you can solder to (it looks like there is a small surface mount component of some sort next to it, that would be my choice), solder a multi-turn variable resistor (trimmer) from the point to ground. The trimmer should be 15x to 20x the stock resistance to ground.
If you haven't done any voltmods before I strongly recommend buying some $15 GPUs to practice on before you attempt it on a $900 card!

gtx690.png

Back