• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with LED lighting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocFrootFly

Hello,

I am looking to replace several microscope illuminators with LEDs. The ones currently being used are circular 6" florescent tubes. I would like to build a ring of 4 to 8 LEDs which will have roughly the same output. I need to have a bright white output in the 50k+ light color range. I have seen 10 watt super bright LEDs available, but I'm afraid an array of 4 or more of these might be too much (especially considering the lack of a heat sink).

Can anyone advise me on what type/how many LEDs should be used to replace a florescent fixture? Also, where is the best place to get them?

Thanks

Depending on the socket type you may be able to get some LED tube flourescent replacements. Its much easier and they last a lot longer, the only downside is that they can get pretty pricey.

Here is a link, Another Link

Edit: Finding an appropriate size may also be an issue, although the site I linked has all the kits you will need to make the tubes yourself.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. I don't think a tube replacement will work as it is a fairly odd-sized circular bulb. Price isn't a real big issue either as the replacement bulbs I'm using now cost about $80 each and only last a few months, so anything will be cheaper in the long run. I don't intend on trying to use the old florescent tubes' sockets or power source, I'll just have an external cord with a switch.

Back