• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First attempts at oc'ing - major problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mahniex

Registered
My setup:
Abit TH7II RAID
P4 2.0A Stock HS and fan
2 X 256MB Infeneon RDRAM (ECC)
IBM GXP 60 & Seagate IV 60GB HD's in RAID 0 (IDE 3 & 4)
SB Audigy
NIC card 10/100

Whenever I try to oc this machine it drives me nuts. I manage to get the FSB up to around 117 without any problems( Using FIX option and Vcore at 1.575v). The machine seems rock solid and i ran Prime95, SisSoft Sandra for a few hrs + a few games. problem is when i reboot i start getting fatal errors in Windows XP and it seems to get corrupted. In fact I have had to reinstall the OS loads of times:mad:
The thing is that if it does boot it is perfectly stable with temperatures of around 40C idle and 52C under load. But once I boot again it looses it completely and more likely than not I have to reinstall windows.
The windows problem also limits me form pushing the fsb further as when I boot I get something on the lines of ".... windows will have to shut down to prevent damage to the machine." even if I go down to the standard 100fsb at that stage the os keeps giving errors.
Any ideas? This is my first attempt at ocing and I thought I could do a bit better. I can't even mantain a 300Mhz oc on this 2Ghz chip!!:(

I've tried pushing the voltage to 1.65 (The max in the 38 bios) with the same results. I am tempted to try the 77 bios and push the voltage further but I can't get my hands on a decent HS/fan here in Malta. Is 52C under load (3 hrs of Prime 95) too hot?

Is 52C an unreasonable temp for a NW under load? As i said, I cannot buy a decent fan/HS here so I have tried to compensate by sticking 4 fans into my case, round IDE cables etc
Should I need more than 1.65 for this simple 300Hz oc? Or do I have a dud CPU?

Improve your cooling first, before you do anything else. Yes, 52C is alot hotter than you want it to be...your idle temp is more along the lines of a full load temp (40-42).

Don't o/c it anymore until you can rectify your cooling situation!

Back