• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So I got this dead 5770...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ivanlabrie

And I was scratching my head trying to come up with something...
Apparently the owner had a drop of beer fall on the card and short it, which instantly killed the board AND gpu. He also said the card kills any board you plug it in and fire it up, so I don't wanna risk it. :rolleyes:

I don't see any trace of damage, nothing visible at first sight at least.
I was thinking on checking continuity on the caps and random bug-like stuffs that are soldered to the pcb :p but I really don't know how to go about fixing it.

Here are some gratituous pics:
sJBh4Aq.jpg
pf9hPcc.jpg

If it kills boards, it's not worth fixing. How many boards are you willing to risk to fix a $65(tops) GPU? Personally, I'm not willing to risk much :p

bake it.

seriously I've got the same exact card and while I have never had any problems with mine I have herd a lot of them needed to be reflowed in the oven.

I have a better idea if you still have it.. Let me know.. I fixed a dead 9800GTX the other day with this method..

Mah ha ha ha...

Take the heat sink off. Get a lighter with a long stem that has a wind proof flame. (looks like a mini-jet engine when on) Click the flame on and point it directly on the GPU and move around in a circle motion.. Keep doing that until you smell solder. Stay on the GPU only do not fade off of that. I like to cut a square in a piece of tin foil, the same size as the GPU, just in case. But do what you feel comfortable doing. Do this for the RAM too. Let it cool. do not touch the GPU, your finger will stick to it. LOL!

What I like to do, since those rubber pads suck, I sand down real copper pennies. 1982 or older. I like to stay in the 1975 range. Where ever there was a PAD, put a copper penny there with TIM on both sides. But before you go doing that, put the heatsink back on and test it, if it works, then go through the trouble in making it a better cooled device with the pennies.

You are essentially "re-balling" the components. Re-melting the solder under the GPU and RAM, while gaming the "over-heating" broke it by only melting a few balls. Its (Ball Grid Array). Which is why "Baking" sometimes works. My way puts more direct heat on each component faster and more efficiently. Good luck

Attachments

• 20131011_000813.jpg
    20131011_000813.jpg
    562.2 KB · Views: 233
  • 20131011_001516.jpg
    20131011_001516.jpg
    537.6 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
I like the penny idea...I actually did that but with a heat gun, and tin foil with holes for the ram and core. But no go bro, so I guess it's beyond my skill set.

Back