• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G4 mx440 or Ti 200?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SaT985

Registered
I've heard about a hardware an software mod for them to turn em into quadro's. Which would be better for using 3ds max 4 with? Either card i'd probably for for a gainward because of the better ramchips they ship with. also saw a tempting G2 Ti 500 with vivo card on newegg.

Gainward/Cardexpert GeForce 4 MX440 (NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440 GPU), PowerPack GODEN SAMPLE( OVER-CLOCKING), 4ns, 64MB DDR. TV-Out. Retail Box.

Gainward/Cardexpert GeForce 2 TITANIUM Ti/500XP, 4ns 64MB DDR, VIVO, Golden Sample Plus. Retail

Gainward/Cardexpert GeForce 3 Ti200 64MB (NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200 GPU), Power Pack Golden Sample, 4ns 64MB DDR. TV-Out. Retail Box.

or maybe one of these for fun

Gainward/Cardexpet GeForce 3 Ti200 128MB (NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200 GPU), Power Pack Golden Sample, 4ns 128MB DDR.Retail Box.

max isn't a primary concern, would also need to be good for games so that would probably rule out physicaly modding the card. Would using the elsa drivers hinder performance in games?

well if there is a Mod for turning the Ti200 into a Quadro then DEFINATELY get it.....the MX440 is only a little bit faster than a Geforce2 Ti and would come home crying for its mommy if it faced a Geforce2 Ultra or Radeon7500 let alone a full fledged Geforce3......for games the Ti200 is almost twice as fast though i havent seen a quadro mod for it, and if you do a hardware quadro mod gaming will stay the same...

funnyperson1 said:
well if there is a Mod for turning the Ti200 into a Quadro then DEFINATELY get it.....the MX440 is only a little bit faster than a Geforce2 Ti and would come home crying for its mommy if it faced a Geforce2 Ultra or Radeon7500 let alone a full fledged Geforce3......for games the Ti200 is almost twice as fast though i havent seen a quadro mod for it, and if you do a hardware quadro mod gaming will stay the same...

I'm with ya on that one... the GF4MX is just a hopped up GF2... in either case (games or apps) the GF3 is going to outperform the GF4. There isn't really an improvment with a GF3 w/128 MB VS. one with 64 MB. That would just be for bragging rights... but then again I'm only making that statement from a gamers perspective... might be an improvement for 3d apps. I think there's a mod for the GF3 to Quadro... not sure on that though.

Nevertheless... the GF3 would be your best bet :D

On a Quadro card, extra RAM would mean a lot. This goes the same for a GF3 turned into a Quadro :). Definitely go for the Ti200, preferably the 128mb model.

you said you like to play games as well. I have a gf3 ti 200 and runs all my games at respectable frame rates.

One, I overclocked it to ti 500 levels with only a blow hole and some ramsinks.

Two, The gf3 is direct x 8 compliant with pixel and vertex shaders, the gf4 mx is not.

gf3 all the way dude!

the MX440 is only a little bit faster than a Geforce2 Ti and would come home crying for its mommy if it faced a Geforce2 Ultra or Radeon7500 let alone a full fledged Geforce3
Warning warning, un-educated post detected! The GeForce4 MX 440 will BEAT the Radeon 7500 for sure (I had a 7500 64MB for a couple of days and, on my system, it scored 1000 3DMarks less than my MX 440 does). As for the Ti200, my friend has a system very simular to mine (XP 1800+, 512MB ram) with a GeForce3 Ti200 64MB. He scores 500 3DMarks less than I do. Alot of people under estimate the GF4 MX. For the price, there isn't anything better! On the other hand, the GF3 does have DX 8 compliant hardware, so I would still recommend the GF3 TI200...but don't doubt the power of the GF4 MX either!

funnyperson1 said:
Geforce2 Ti and would come home crying
Hehehehehe....sometimes it cryies home from the GF2 Ti! Well I have mine clocked higher than a GF2 Ultra anyway so it can sometimes be screwed. lol

And I dont underestimate the thing. It isnt bad...but it isnt GOOD. I think a Ti200 woiuld rip it a new one in just about any benchy. Maybe your system wasnt fully optimized??

:)

Last edited:
2001 se? I have been having alot of probs with it ever since I went to WIN XP Pro. Before that I was able to muster 5743 with my AXP at stock. Now I am usually in the 5480 range when I am about maxed out (chip running at about 147*11.5=1691Mhz). I know that is an extremely lame overclock on the CPU - I have about the worst memory you can imagine. Wish I spent the extra moneyto get PC2700 or even decent PC2100.
BTW, my GF2 is actually clocked 285/460 now. I cant get much higher than that, and it usually rus the best 270-275/450-460.

Why you ask, James, are you beating me with your MX440? I wouldnt doubt it. :)

Last edited:
only just lol. guess my gf4 440mx is indeed faster than any gf2 then :p . The last score i got was 64xx with an axp1800+ @1.64ghz, the card was clocked @ 330/480 core/ram

what really bites though, is that ive seen people getting 8000+ with 1.2ghz celly's and ati r8500's. unbelievable!

I think my CPU is bottlenecking my MX 440. I raised my core and memory from 270/400 to 300/440 and there was about 100 3DMarks of difference. I'm gonna OC my CPU and try again...

*edit* My current 3DMark score is 6847

you cant hardware mod any geforce past a g3 ti500. software mods do nothing but make windows think its a quadro, but no performance gains. I could call a geforce2mx an ultra but thatll do nuttin! Get the 128mb geforce3, and OC, OC, OC!

james.miller said:
only just lol. guess my gf4 440mx is indeed faster than any gf2 then :p . The last score i got was 64xx with an axp1800+ @1.64ghz, the card was clocked @ 330/480 core/ram

what really bites though, is that ive seen people getting 8000+ with 1.2ghz celly's and ati r8500's. unbelievable!

What are you getting with your celery?

I was just wondering what you would gte in 3d Mark 2k1 SE...

BTW, werent you the one who was saying that the MX440 is not a good buy (this was around November I believe)?

For comparison purposes, my G3 Ti200 (64mb)with the setup in my sig has so far managed a 9550 in 3dmark2001se OC'ed to 225/540. Its a EVGA card as well, which arent exactly well know for there OC ability. As far as Nvidia chipsets go, I doubt there is a better bang for the buck.

Back