• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Internet Goes Out Briefly Every Hour

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

keezy

This has been happening for a while now. Basically, every hour give or take a few seconds, my internet will disconnect and come right back up 2-3 seconds later. But it's just long enough to kick me out of online games, etc. I looked at Event Viewer and Event ID: 8033 'The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{8FB8E76D-5D85-4037-9621-FA7FE5D1609F} because a master browser was stopped' happens to show up around the time frame that my internet goes out. Can anyone offer some insight on the matter? It's really frustrating because I play some games at a pretty high level.

Also, not sure whether or not this has anything to do with it because it doesn't show up concurrently with my internet going out, but Event Viewer also has this - Event ID: 7036 'The WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service service entered the stopped state.' I just figured I'd add that because it seems like something to do with networking.

I'll also add that I'm almost certain it's a software issue. First of all, my girlfriend who sits right next to me and is wired to the same modem, has no internet problems. I also purchased a NIC to replace the onboard one a couple weeks ago just in case the onboard NIC had gone bad. I've uninstalled my network lan drivers and reinstalled the latest version. Hell, I've even reinstalled Windows. I've had my ISP send out technicians to switch modems, and I've even changed cat6 cables.

Thank you!

I also have this problem.I'm in Atlanta and am using Comcast. I'm just reading and the net stops working for just a second or two:shrug:

I have sorta the same problem. Started a couple days ago. At first I thought it was cause of Java/Flash, updated my plugins for Firefox and it didn't fix it. They haven't seem to play nice for the last couple of months so I'm back to Chrome again. Still having the issues though in-game. Unable to game for the time being...

Did you guys try rebooting your modems?

He had stated that a technician came out and swapped modems.

What OS are you using? I had a similar issue with Vista.

edit: A quick google check found disabling the computer browser service could help. And

Another way to fix this, rather than stopping/disabling the Computer Browser Service is to unbind NetBIOS from Tcp on each of the interfaces. To find out which interfaces are bound, type 'BROWSTAT.EXE DN' at a command prompt - this will list the interfaces such as 'DeviceNetBT_Tcpip_{7B935...' as displayed in your System Event Log. Steps to disable NetBIOS over TCP:
1) Open Network Connections in the Control Panel
2) Open the Properties dialog for any interface
3) If TCP/IP is checked, select it and click 'Properties'. (If it is not checked, click 'Cancel' - this interface does not have tcp/ip bound)
4) Click the 'Advanced' button
5) On the 'WINS' tab, select the radio button for 'Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP'
6) Click OK, OK, then Close

If you run BROWSTAT.EXE DN again, the list of interfaces should be one less now. Keep doing this for each interface in the list and you will eliminate all of these MRxSMB messages.

This can also be disabled using DHCP options if you are using DHCP on your network. Just be careful when you have legacy and non-Windoze boxes that need WINS to connect to the network.

edit: A quick google check found disabling the computer browser service could help.

I also came across that suggestion and did it but my internet still went out the next hour mark. I hadn't restarted my computer after disabling the service, however, so maybe that's it? I saw somewhere that restarting your computer temporarily fixed the problem, and I wanted to see if the service was the problem. I'll find out today.

I'm running on Windows 7 64-bit. I also did BROWSTAT.EXE DN in cmd and I got this:
Code:
'BROWSTAT.EXE' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I once had Comcast for internet. I do remember having connection problems - sometimes it was bad other times in was horrible. I spent many hours (12~16) on and off trying to resolve it. Some of things that I remember.

Comcast doesn't had DHCP services too well. IIRC at times I would renew the lease manually and that seemed to help.

Comcast techs are hit or miss. I had one who did a pretty good job BUT won't check the "drop" outside. The next tech did and he "fixed" it. Again if I am remembering this correctly the drop was being held together by electrical tape.

This was with XP and I do remember disabling NETBIOS and/or Enabling TCP/IP over NETBIOS and it seemed to help.

I looked Browstat and Windows 7s up.

Browstat does NOT work in Win7. Here someone wrote a program to "replicate" it:
http://scottiestech.info/2009/02/14/how-to-determine-the-master-browser-in-a-windows-workgroup/

Hope this helps - feel for you, Comcrap and internet don't like to play nice sometimes. :mad:

I have bright house lightning and I don't think it's the provider since there's another computer on the network that doesn't have these problems.

From what I can tell from what I read today is that it might be how the network it setup. If all computer are running Win7, with the same "permission" and the same connection (ie wired or wireless) I would less likely to think that it is Comcast "issue". I would think that if it is only your computer and only your computer - that it is the computer itself. The network is somewhere in between in all this. Both figuratively and literally. Then again I would assume that you have tried the same notebook/netbook both wired and wirelessly.

Hope this helps.

I am running Win 7 on some German router. Never had a problem till recently. Already tried turning off computer, turning off router, waiting 10 mins, turning router back on, turning comp on.... a couple times. I am leaving in two weeks. So I'll probably give up... gives me more time to work on my build :)

Another way to fix this, rather than stopping/disabling the Computer Browser Service is to unbind NetBIOS from Tcp on each of the interfaces. To find out which interfaces are bound, type 'BROWSTAT.EXE DN' at a command prompt - this will list the interfaces such as 'DeviceNetBT_Tcpip_{7B935...' as displayed in your System Event Log. Steps to disable NetBIOS over TCP:
1) Open Network Connections in the Control Panel
2) Open the Properties dialog for any interface
3) If TCP/IP is checked, select it and click 'Properties'. (If it is not checked, click 'Cancel' - this interface does not have tcp/ip bound)
4) Click the 'Advanced' button
5) On the 'WINS' tab, select the radio button for 'Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP'
6) Click OK, OK, then Close

I disabled the NetBIOS for my local area connection and I'll let you know if it worked. I still don't understand what the 'BROWSTAT.EXE DN' command is for. I didn't get anything out of cmd for it. Anyways, thanks for the help!

I disabled the NetBIOS for my local area connection and I'll let you know if it worked. I still don't understand what the 'BROWSTAT.EXE DN' command is for. I didn't get anything out of cmd for it. Anyways, thanks for the help!

If I am reading you correctly the reason you aren'y getting a response when you use the command line interface is because you have to install it first.

Please keep in mind that I don't have Win7 installed so I can't "test" this out myself.:p

Is your router handling dhcp (nat) or the isp? How about DNS, does the router cache and forward dns queries or do they go directly to the isp?

Back