• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Voltage mod for Asus P4B266 (Help)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclocker456

Ok, I have a 1.6A running at 2543MHz, 100% stable. I'm using the bios voltage 1.750 which actually giving me 1.712v... Well I need more voltage.. I'm sure I can make it to 2.7GHz because I can boot winXP, run a few benchmarks then it crashes.. My memory is good up to 176MHz bus so that's not the problem.. If anyone know the voltage mod for the P4B266 PLEASE LET ME KNOW.. I've looked everywhere.. The max voltage my board has is 1.775.. and they call this a overclockers board..lol PLEASE HELP!! thanks and good luck to everyone

Don't despair my friend, help is on it's way.........

P4B266 BETA BIOS 1006 TEST 001

This BIOS will allow you to set up to 2.1v in the BIOS for the Northwood CPU. It basically allows Willamette voltages for the Northwood. Most folks get about 1.85v before the system starts a kind of warning beep code (even with all H/W monitoring turned off) but unplugging the internal speaker shuts it up!! I've used up to 1.875v and got 2.7 stable but I prefer running a lower vcore and typically use 1.75v and 2.5GHz.

Make sure you've got good cooling though, more vcore means potentially worse electromigration and that's made much worse by heat. Good luck!!

Thanks a lot..

If this works you are a god, if this F*cks up my system you must die..lol thanks a lot.. I'm going to try it now.. thanks again..

YOU ARE GOD..

Thanks a lot.. for the first time I've been able to run benchmarks at 2.7GHz ... The beeping has to go though. I'm going to leave it at 2655MHz at 1.850v(bios) which is actaully 1.776v.. I know for a fact I can hit 2.8GHz, but no need to tease myself. i'll wait till I have better cooling.. thanks a million.. do you think the next bios asus puts on it's site will allow the voltage increase??? also what are you temps? I get 46C at full load at 2655MHz..

I'm happy that beta BIOS helped you and I didn't have to die!!:)

I don't think the next Asus BIOS for the P4B266 will allow 2.1v for the Northwood because that's 40% over stock vcore!! They might up the limit to 1.85v but I doubt it. More likely they will leave it alone. One thing they should implement is the ability to use the 3:4 memory ratio at ANY FSB speed. At the moment, being limited to 3:4 for less than 133FSB sucks ***!!! Another thing they need to fix is that 40*C stuck CPU temp bug in the BIOS. The last P4B266 BIOS was back in December last year so it's about bloody time they released a new one!!!

I've gone the ultra-silent route for my PC, I have the new Alpha 8942 cooler with a very slow fan - 2500rpm. Load temps are about 47.7*C (2.5GHz, 1.75v) after 30 mins of Prime95. I have 2 x 80mm intake fans, 1 x 80mm exhaust fan and 2 exhaust fans in the Enermax PSU - all fans are running a low-rpm mode but they can all be adjusted to higher rpms if needed.

Hope you hit 2.8, I don't think my Northy is man enough tho...:(

2.8GHz.. yeah I've done that..lol

Last night I couldn't help it.. having all that voltage and not going for 2.8Ghz isn't in me, so I open my window to let the cooler air in.. 37 degrees it was outside.. I was able to overclock my chip to 2.8GHz using 1.9v I WAS ****TING BRICKS... I was able to run benchmarks in everything...but my 38CFM delta must go, my ears are bleeding.. about the bios the only thing that has me upset is the 3:4 memory ratio, other than that if they update the bios on the site there is no point in downloading it since I probably won't support the 1.877v (in bios ) that I'm using.. I'm sure if I had some water cooling, or a vapor chill I could hit 2.9 or even 3GHz.. my chip is a tropper.. lemme ask you a question, my voltage goes from 1.76v to 1.792v... why is the spike so much.. it does this on the 1.875v setting.. it doesn't stay constant.. you think it's the powersupply? I'm not using the intel 12v plug, I'm using the EZPLUG.. does it matter?? thanks again...

2.8, nice!! What's that, a 175FSB? Who needs a 3:4 memory ratio at that speed, even with 1:1 you're hitting DDR350 speeds!!

My vcore (reported by MBM) fluctuates by 0.02v when idle and drops a further 0.03-0.05v while under load. If you're worried about your +12v line being a little under-juiced then check it with Asus Probe. MBM reports my +12v at about 11.55v and Asus Probe reports 12.16v, I think Asus Probe is more correct because I have a 650W peak output PSU. I don't think it matters if you use the EZ plug or the ATX 2.03 12v connector because as far as I know all the +12v power lines from the PSU are the same.

What PSU and HSF and you running there OC456?

a little elbow grease..

I'm using the stock cooler which i lapped for hours to get it flat.. with a delta 38CFM fan... of course I had to mod the fan but it works.. for some reason when I use my 60mm to 80mm fan adapter I get higher temps!!! even though I'm using a 50CFM very weird.. I can't explain it.. I'm using a 300W PSU.. is that enough you think?? I have to change my case it's too crapped.. I'm going to get this cheap $27 case with lots of room.. what's the site for MBM?? thanks.. if I can get my temps to around 43C under full load I'll go for 2.75GHz easy I have the balls.. Ever since I Overclocked a 566 celeron to 850MHz using 2.0v and almost 2 years later it works perfectly and only using a fop38 on it.. I'm in shock.. I told my friend (it was for him) that I can't promise him his chip is going to last more than like 6months.. but it did.. still 100% default was at 1.5.. I'll go up to 1.85v (actual not bios) on this P4, but I NEED BETTER cooling..

Back