• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

will a mobo boot w/o a proc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

all420

Registered
Hi all-
I can't get my new system up and running: there is no video when I turn on the power. I am trying to isolate the problem, and I ruled my vid card out. I am trying to determine if it has to do with my proc being fried. This leads me to my question, will a motherboard boot without a working processor? I know that it won't load the OS or anything like that, but will it at least send something to the display? Thanks in advance.

all420 said:
Hi all-
I can't get my new system up and running: there is no video when I turn on the power. I am trying to isolate the problem, and I ruled my vid card out. I am trying to determine if it has to do with my proc being fried. This leads me to my question, will a motherboard boot without a working processor? I know that it won't load the OS or anything like that, but will it at least send something to the display? Thanks in advance.

NO

A CPU and RAM is required to boot. If there is no intial beep from the mobo, then something is wrong. Either you're getting no power, the mobo is bad, the CPU needs reseated or is bad, the RAM needs reseated or is not the right type, or the vid card is not working or needs reseated. Try reconnecting the mobo power connector at the mobo, expecially if the PS and CPU fans do not power up. If you're not getting any power, make sure the AC cord is plugged in to the back of the PS and see if there is a power switch on the back of the PS that needs turned on. Don't laugh, that happened to me once, about drove me crazy.

reset the CMOS, reseat the cpu and memory, take out every card but the video, then power up, the powersupply fan should start spinning, otherwise there's a problem with the powerswitch lead going to the mobo, or the mobo is dead. If the fans start spinning you're getting power, if you get a series of beeps, look in the mobo manual to figure out what theyre trying to tell you.

is it slot1?

Is the mobo slot1? If it is, make SURE that the proc is all the way in the slot. I've had this happen before. If the proc isn't in all the way, you won't get anything (just like not having a proc in at all).

Good luck,
Tyler

Back