• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does The P4T-E Have the HIP6301 Volt Mod Chip On It Or Not??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TechTones

Will someone look over their board and see if this chip is on it?

I want to know if I can volt mod this board without modding the CPU itself. Many of you have this board so someone must know for sure.

Thanks

About where is it located? And what does it say on the chip? I can take a look.

Well

it is usually located near the AGP slot but Asus may have put it elsewhere.

It says

HIP 6301

There may be a different number but it always starts with HIP.

If the number is different, please let me know what it says.
I can try to look up it's specs.

Thank you

I haven't installed the board yet so I can take a look when I get home from work.

One of the reasons I've been procrastinating is I have to do that vid pin thing since I want to get the voltage to 1.7. I got RDRAM I know will do at least 138. Man, those Socket 478 holes are pretty small. Gotta get some real fine wire.

But I guess your voltage mod will require soldering.

No.

You can do one of two things.

Do a search on this sites forums for "Pomona grabbers"

They are like tiny clips that clip on the IC chips leg.

Or, you run a very thin wire around the leg, twist it real good
and tape it, or use heat shrink tubing.

I was looking at a pic of the board. There seems to be a chip under the AGP slot on the right side of the PCI slots.

I think there is a couple on the left side of the AGP slot too down
at the same level as the first one I mentioned.

There is one that looks like it could definitely be it right on the right side of the AGP slot.

Also there are couple above the 3 capacitors that are above the AGP slot.

These all look very promising.

Last edited:
I am just poking around at my P4t-E rev 1.0 with a flashlight... here is what I see:

There seems to be a chip under the AGP slot on the right side of the PCI slots.
Printed: ALC201

??

There is one that looks like it could definitely be it right on the right side of the AGP slot.

Printed: ICS CK120632

Printed: ADP3165 and ADP3416

I can't see any chips that have the HIP printed on them. But maybe Clevor has a better view.

Portishead said:
I am just poking around at my P4t-E rev 1.0 with a flashlight... here is what I see:

There seems to be a chip under the AGP slot on the right side of the PCI slots.
Printed: ALC201

***This chips is the sound codec. No good.

??

*** I thought I saw what looks like small chips on the left side of
board.

Printed: ICS CK120632

I can't seem to find this one on the ICS website:
http://www.icst.com/

Printed: ADP3165 and ADP3416

***The ADP3165 looks to be for the USB. Still looking for the other one.
Check here if you wish also.

http://www.analog.com

I can't see any chips that have the HIP printed on them. But maybe Clevor has a better view.

I checked all the combo of numbers for the ICS chip on the website...but none matched anything they have.

I rechecked and still don't see a HIP chip. Sorry.

The big ICS chip is the clock generator for the CPU FSB (if it is the one lower on the board). It is good to 156 FSB.

Of course the other two smaller ICS chips near the RIMM slots are the goody RDRAM clock generators (if you got the -13s like mine).

My board is not installed so I should get a good look, but I'm at work so I won't be home for a good 6 hours.

I can't seem to make out the number of the FB pin on their data
sheet.

If the specs for the 3164 are the same for the 3165, which I believe they probably are, the voltage protection overload
might kick in at 1.87v or so since they are only rated for up to 1.85v. Don't know how much overhead they can carry.

But yes, this looks to be the boards VRM.

Problem is locating the feed back pin number.

How to voltage mod the P4T-E

Disclaimer: this mod will be extremely risky if you don't have a soldering iron with a very small tip and some magnification so you can see what you're doing. You can destroy your mb and/or processor if you're not careful. That said, on to the mod....

I've sucessfully mod'd my P4T-E for increased vcore. The 3165 feedback pin is pin 9. This pin has a capacitor to ground and a direct connection to vcore. If the pin connected to vcore through a resistor (like in the schematic in the 3163 and 3164 datasheets) the mod would be simple, just connect a resistor of the correct value from pin 9 to ground. Since pin 9 connects directly to vcore a trace must be carefully cut. The pin 9 connection to vcore comes from a feedthrough and short pc trace to the capacitor and then to pin 9. Carefully cut the trace between the feedthrough and capacitor (don't cut too deeply into the board, the trace cuts easily). Now you'll need to install a couple of resistors to drop the voltage from vcore to pin 9. The easiest place to install these is by the cpu socket (just be carefull that nothing sticks up so high that it shorts to your cpu heatsink). There's a couple of spots where bypass capacitors could be installed but aren't, these make great vcore and ground connect points. (You'll need a larger soldering iron tip for these connections than what you should use to solder to pin 9). Call the resistor that connects to vcore R1 and the one that connects to ground R2. These should be connected together so you get R1 to vcore on one end, R1 connecting to R2 and then the other end of R2 connected to ground. Use a piece of small gauge insulated wire (solid rather than stranded preferred) to connect pin 9 to the R1/R2 connect point. It's best to keep the wire down on the pcb to minimize noise pickup. Solder the wire directly to pin 9, but carefull not to short 9 to pins 8 or 10.

The voltage will increase by a factor (1+R1/R2). I used 100 ohms for R1 and 1800 ohms for R2. This gave me a voltage increase of 5.6%, which was all the extra I needed to be able to run my 2.2 NW stable at 133mhz fsb. Note that the ADP3165 has over and under voltage protection set at +/-20%. If you don't do the VID pins wire trick, your max voltage will be 1.5x1.2=1.80v if you use jumper mode, or 1.65x1.2=1.98v if you use jumper free mode. If you wire VID5 and VID4 pins together on the processor you can get 1.70x1.2=2.04v max before overvoltage protection kicks in. Note that the exact values of R1 and R2 aren't important, just their ratio. If you use a potentiometer for R2 so the voltage can be easily varied, I'd suggest putting a fixed resistor in series with it to set a lower limit for R2. You could also use a pot for R1 instead, just be carefull of the noise pickup on the R1 wiring, which is more important than R2 wiring. A 200 ohm pot for R1 and 1800 ohm resistor for R2 would give a voltage increase of 0% to 11%.

Final disclaimer, I'm not responible if you screw up your motherboard or processor. Be careful!

Last edited:
Back