• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fet replacement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

keny

Can this be repaired ? And if so is it easy ? Solder points look big but I don't know what's underneath, its on a 7850 gpu

F9D1D8E7-82B0-4F51-9098-189A4113DD5E-83860-00000DE215EC6EB0_zpse0bc585e.jpg

Those can be replaced, it's one big solder pad underneath though so it takes one hell of an iron.
Given that all six look to be torched I suspect more than just them is dead.
What I'd do is pull the inductors and hook an EPower to it to see if the core still lives or not.

It's a bad pic of them but the others look fine, the marks on the other ones are a kind if signature/initial scribed into the fets, as for a Epower :confused: and whatever it is I don't have one lol

Maybe you can see the others better on this pic (sorry for iPhone pics)
8DCB18C7-26A4-4D4B-801D-5AF5AF638A54-84455-00000DFAFD7948F5_zps53669bb2.jpg

It's worth taking a crack at replacing the blown to hell MOSFET. Looks like it was the high side, so it comes down to a question of how fast OVP/crowbar went into effect. If it was fast enough the GPU core will be OK, if it wasn't then the GPU core saw 12v for a bit, something not appreciated much.

Okidokie, I will have a go at replacing that fet then, I suppose just heat the whole fet up with the iron to release the solder underneath, but getting it back on..... There's the challenge :-/

Good quality iron and lots of patience is all you really need. It can be helpful if you have a spare pcb to practice on, the first time i re-soldered a fet i melted it because i heated it too long(but that was a long time ago)

this is going to be interesting.

i remember when i tried to replace the Evga Geforce 7600 capacitors that blew up on me. i ended up frying the memory because wasnt using the right soldering iron and i held it on the board for too long :(

show us pictures of you doing it, i wanna see:D

I will order some of the parts now and get my £5 soldering iron out of the shed :facepalm: its dead anyway so anything is a improvement lol

You're going to want a 40-80w iron with a wide, heavy, chisel tip. Also a fat-but-round-and-pointed tip for the same. Add to that a thin tipped phillips screwdriver and you're on your way.

Peel the two legs up first with the round tipped iron (melt solder, pry with screwdriver).
Then apply the heavy chisel to the junction of metal tab to big solder pad and feed lead solder into that. Cool well while prying medium-gently with the screwdriver and eventually it'll come loose.

At that point you can clean up the pad with solder wick, lay down some leaded solderer, some flux, and do more or less the same thing to get the new MOSFET on.

You're going to want a 40-80w iron with a wide, heavy, chisel tip. Also a fat-but-round-and-pointed tip for the same. Add to that a thin tipped phillips screwdriver and you're on your way.

Peel the two legs up first with the round tipped iron (melt solder, pry with screwdriver).
Then apply the heavy chisel to the junction of metal tab to big solder pad and feed lead solder into that. Cool well while prying medium-gently with the screwdriver and eventually it'll come loose.

At that point you can clean up the pad with solder wick, lay down some leaded solderer, some flux, and do more or less the same thing to get the new MOSFET on.

Cool, I have all of that, getting hold of the part is more tricky unless you want to buy a load of them :-/

Just my 2 cents on removing it, you can clip the legs off the fet with a small pair of dikes (wire clippers) and then focus on getting the fet itself off. Only reason I mention this is cause I'm a 2-way radio technician and work on stuff like this everyday and its easier and quicker.

Yeah that works too. Easier than desoldering and prying the legs up often. Just don't lose the cut off bits and step on 'em later :D

I need to get my license.
And find some money in a ditch somewhere to pay for a radio or five.

I need to get my license.
And find some money in a ditch somewhere to pay for a radio or five.

Go to a hamfest, the bigger the better.Take whatever electronics you have lying around. Sell your stuff, trade it...whatever. Somebody will probably want what you have and used older radios aren't expensive. :)

Back