• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird RAM-CPU problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

X-man

OK, here's the situation.

I was using a PII @ 300 MHz with 64MB/100MHz RAM. At the BIOS, the max option for bus speed was 83MHz and the multiplier could go up to 6.5x. I installed 128MB/133MHz RAM and my PC went automatically at 450 MHz, giving me up to 112 MHz at the BIOS. Everything was working absolutely FINE, FASTER, and STABLE. Something went wrong trying to install Internet Explorer, I had to re-install win98, and the next time I booted-up, it ran at 300 MHz, with the previous BIOS settings (up to 83 MHz etc). I tried uninstalling and reinstalling both cartridges (64 and 128 MB ram) but the problem is still there.

Can anyone explain and/or help me? Running at 450 MHz was much better.

Thanks in advance,

X-man

Did you try clearing out your bios?, and am I reading your post correctly: Your max bus speed was 83Mhz, but when you put the 133 ram in, it jumped up to 112Mhz?

well...

thanks 4 replying.

a) clearing the bios = reset the bios (via some jumper or by removing and replacing the battery) ?

b) As u know, ath the BIOS u get two options:

AUTO where u can put the CPU speed
MANUAL where u choose the FSB and the MULTIPLIER

Well, when running at 300 MHz I just had the option to AUTO and 300 MHz... And my MANUAL option good go up to 83 MHz (MAXIMUM)

When I put the 128/133MHz RAM, it went to AUTO 450 MHz and at the MANUAL gave me the option to choose up to 112 (or maybe more, can't rember, but 112 definetely). I didn't change the AUTO setting, because I thought it was running at 100*4.5 and anyhow 450MHz was just fine.

So?

a) Yes, clearing the bios with a jumper/remove battery.

MANUAL where u choose the FSB and the MULTIPLIER

In manual if your at 83Mhz, and can set your multiplier, have you tried putting the multiplier @ 5.5 which would put you at 456MHz

Or is the object of your quest here the 112MHz bus?

Hotsauce,

a) OK, I'll try reseting the BIOS

b) The quest is to get the options of more than 83 MHz FSB, so as to make it work automatically at 450 MHz or even 100*4.5 as it did.

Using 5.5 * 83 - well, I tried multiple combinations in the past (before the 450 incident) and i never got it to work at more than 378 and it was never as stable as when it worked automatically.

Think about the whole issue. It's 03.15 here and I have to get up early (gotta work :( ) so I'll get back 2u later.

Thanks for your time though.

Cheers,

X-man

Back