• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My TH7II & RDramsinks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gone_fishin

BandSaw King
I installed some home made ramsinks with ASIII and super glue on the RDRAM today. They're the monster chunks of metal left over from my alpha mods I cut up. Before I could only post in bios to 137FSB at 400mem I would get nothing at 138. Now I can post in bios at 150FSB at 400mem, which is PC1200! It won't get into windows but gives a repair from install CD. The thing that is promising is that it doesn't freeze at all, I can ctrl-alt-del out of it. I always run this 1.6NW at 150FSB at 300mem. I think if I get up enough nerve to do the vmem mod it will make it to windows. What do you think? And these are the single sided 8pc 256Mb Samsung modules which everyone says is no good.

Did your 1,6a run at 133x4 fsb right out of the box ? AND WITH WHAT VOLTAGE AND Heatsink ? Mine can barely do 1815 at 113x4 with 1,7v real (1,85v in bios = max of th 77 ) .
With ram at x3 i could do 1890 with old PIV 1,5 Williamette !

gone_fishin said:
And these are the single sided 8pc 256Mb Samsung modules which everyone says is no good.

Hi , i have "2"pairs of the same memory you mention above...both pairs reach 533mhz :)

I also have a pair of 256mb "double" sided modules and they max out at 470mhz....

HMMMM!!!! Luck of the draw i think!:)

I thought the singled sided was supposed to overclock better?

Anyway, I'm going to try sticking some sinks on my RAM too. Trouble is, there isn't much room in between modules, maybe 10mm at most even with the single sided ones. I'm trying to decide whether to just epoxy some low profile sinks onto the heat spreaders or try to remove the heat spreaders (which appear to be riveted on). Gone fishin', how did you get massive hunks of metal sinks onto those RAM modules?

Last edited:
batboy said:
I thought the singled sided was supposed to overclock better?

Anyway, I'm going to try sticking some sinks on my RAM too. Trouble is, there isn't much room in between modules, maybe 10mm at most even with the single sided ones. I'm trying to decide whether to just epoxy some low profile sinks onto the heat spreaders or try to remove the heat spreaders (which appear to be riveted on). Gone fishin', how did you get massive hunks of metal sinks onto those RAM modules?

I used these pieces I had left over. One is sliced very thin with a double row of pins and about 4 inches long and stands two inches high. For the second module I cut one of the other pieces in half the long way and applied both pieces to it. I used ASIII along the whole length of the sinks except at the very ends where I put a dab of super glue. I have two 80mm blow holes in the side of my case blowing in that general direction.

Here's what they look like on the RDRAM modules. I should say they are sanded flat and were cut so they mount flat (they extrude a little as to clear the rim that goes around the heatspreader.

I dremeled out the rivots on my rdram and noticed they use a strip of rubber? between the chips and the heat spreaders.
which leads me to beleive that mounting sinks to an unmodded rimm prolly wont do much in the sense that the heat spreader itself isnt even making contact with the mem chip anyway.
that didnt seem very efficient to me so i used arctic silver epoxy instead of the rubber strip so that the chips actually make direct contact with the heatspreader as its intended.
Haven't done any testing to see if they're able to clock higher yet but like i said its gotta be a better transfer than the rubber thing.

Back