• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pIII + ddr?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ArticJoe

Registered
i am an amd user, and quite frankly im fed up with amd.

im running an amd t-bird 1.33 ghz that runs idle temps at 48C (non oc'd)
it really ****es me off i just spent $790 on new components and cooling supplies and this is what i get in return. so im thinking of switching over to intel. (6 case fans, ArticSilver 3 (which IS applied correctly) and a new psu, a new case, new crucial ddr ram, a new antec psu and the list goes on oh yeah and the coolermaster HHC-001 HS, (upgraded from a thermalright sk6))

however i dont have the cash to shell out for all the stuff i need for a P4 (new mobo, HSF, cpu, etc...)

so i was wanting to go with a PIII which i could overclock. (whats the fastest they come 1.13?)

here is my system specs at the moment:

AMD Tbird 1.33 GHZ
Coolermaster HHC-001 HSF (with a 92mm 60cfm fan still 48C idle)
ASUS A7A266 (i'd rather not buy asus, im not impressed)
512 megs of Crucial PC2100
Geforce 3
SoundBlaster Xgamer 5.1
Antec 400 watt psu
Chieftec full tower case
my nic,
thats about it.

what do you guys think i should get in the PIII line? im not one to skimp on the mother board, i want one that can be overclocked, and must have ddr cuz im not going to shell out more money for sdram when i have more than enough ddr on hand. jumperless is preferable but if there isnt one its ok.

thanks in advanced,

-Will

Asus boards are known for giving a high temp reading. If you want to know the true temp then buy a compunurse and place the probe next to the core. As for your rant, is your system unstable? if it is stable then there is nothing to worry about.

well, i havent had a crash (with the new components, aside from it crashing upon exiting HL but thats a problem with windows 2000) yet, so i suppose its stable its been on for about 24hs straight.

but i still want to get away from AMD.

a good switch that you could do right now is get a 1.6A northwood and a ddr mobo since you have memory, that upgrade would cost you about 260 or so bucks. and with that alpha you will prolly get good oc with it, i seen ppl wit stock hsf's on this chip go into the 2200's and beyond

ive already checked my hsf wont go on a 478, only on socket a and 370's (not sure about that 370 tho)

a good cpu would be a tualatin celeron, they come in flavors of 1ghz, 1.1ghz, 1.2ghz, and 1.3 ghz
the first 3 can almost for sure reach 133mhz fsb (the 1.2ghz has about an 80% chance).
I have no clue if there are any DDR motherboards that are tualatin compatabile. maybe someone else would know.

well first off asus board add 8-10°C over what it really is you might wanan invest $10 in a compunuse lcd temp display for the real temp. so that would drop you down to around 40°C Idle witch isnt to bad.

you might have poor airflow in your case
(remove the side if temps drop you know you can do better :) )
you could have added to much ASIII.

just AMD take alot more work for cooling but just look at the resualts in speed and price.

I think a P3 would be a poor choice. The price will be as bad as a p4 1.6a (northwood). And the northwood should overclock you all the way to the stars! And lots of people apparently do OK with intel stock heatsinks. This will be especially true if they start shipping the Sunflower as the stock heatsink, as they have been rumored to have done. If you insist on a board your old heatsink will fit on, then go for a celeron.

Or maybe wait for AMD's thoroughbred. They should give out a lot less heat at higher speeds than current AMD's do. And it is possible, though uncertain, that they may work on your current board. WHEN they come out is a big question, too.

As much as I love the PIII/Celeron, it just doesn't make sense to jump to an Out-Dated Platform.

I said just be happy you're on AMD Thunderbird. I understand the desire to "not waste your $$$" on P4 heatsink.

However, spending big $$$ on a Soon-2-be-dead platform just don't add up.

by the way, ECS has a DDR Motheboard. However, you cannot Overclock on this MB since it doesn't have the require Voltage Adjustment you're looking for.

Sometimes, it pays to be content

Back