• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Driver Sweeper AMD Drivers caused BSOD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gh0sT-NoVa

1) Uninstall AMD Drivers Catalyst 13.1 via Program and Features using Windows. Restart PC

2) After uninstallation , I notice my resolution didn't went down as it suppose to be , it's still at 1920X1080 , MSI Afterburner still is running , GPU-Z too is able still detect my AMD Driver Catalyst 13.1

3) Restart PC again, boot up in Safe Mode , used Driver Sweeper to clean all AMD Drivers ( This is the one I used from Guru3D )
http://www.guru3d.com/content_page/guru3d_driver_sweeper.html

4) Restart PC, after Windows 7 Welcome screen, I got a BSOD, and just few seconds later it auto restarts itself

5) Boot up into Safe Mode again, used AMD Catalyst Un-install Utility, to clean all AMD Drivers again.

6) Restart PC, past Windows 7 Welcome screen. Everything was fine, resolution was low as it suppose to be.

7) Installs new AMD Catalysts Driver 13.9, so everything is fine now, so far.

So guys the thing is, I would like a more clear picture what I did wrong, which caused me a BSOD on boot up at first ?? So I can avoid this mistake again in the future and also fix it.
Is AMD Catalyst Un-install Utility safe to use ? I did see some comments saying they had problems after using it.
But so far It's fine now for me.

Sounds like an anomaly to me...I used their uninstaller all the time, no problems here.

You meant AMD Catalyst Un-install Utility ?
Well like I said, after using Driver Sweeper from Gurud3D , I get a BSOD.
But using AMD Catalyst Un-install Utility seems to solved it for me.
So if you are referring to AMD Catalyst Un-install Utility I guess it is safe.

But any idea what I did wrong to get a BSOD ? Could it be Driver Sweeper from Guru3D ?

Well do you have any idea where went wrong then ?
I suspect around the part where I uninstall the AMD Catalyst 13.1 using Windows's Program and Feature.
Like I said after uninstall , my PC had to be restarted to complete it.
Usually what I recall was , whenever even when Im upgrading a newer Driver / uninstalling an old one.
The resolution will become low / small like 640X480 I think , not sure. But you get my point. But instead it still stays at 1920X1080 after boot up.
And MSI Afterburner still runs , GPU-Z still detects Catalyst 13.1

So I restarted went to Safe Mode , used Driver Sweeper, restart PC and boom, BSOD after Welcome screen....

But after using AMD's one , when I got on to desktop , MSI Afterburner wasn't even running anymore and my resolution was low too like it suppose to be.

Maybe I should define anomaly, LOL!

Being serious, I have no idea what happened as it has never happened to me. You also did not mention the BSOD code, so no clue what caused it with the information given. I would move on and just use the AMD uninstall package until you actually NEED to use an additional driver cleaning program.

Sadly wasn't able to get the BSOD code , since the BSOD only lasted few seconds and it automatically restarts itself.
And since now I've fixed the problem ( HOPEFULLY ) I can no longer view it. Well neither is a pleasant thing to be seen on a PC...when I saw the BSOD yesterday it scares the **** out of me....

Ok then how bout some advice , in future if I were to upgrade my AMD Catalysts Driver, what is the BEST and more SAFE procedures I should take ?

I do have to mention Im not so good with " program " and stuff , I only know most of he basics, more detail things I might not know what Im doing....

Ok tks for the info, but I would like to point out actually previously I too uses Driver Sweeper.
I didn't cause me any BSOD lol....I even did it for my Dad's PC twice !
Once on mine.
I don't know what went wrong this time....bottom line BSOD is always scary....
Anyways I think case close , but I appreciate it if anyone else could figure out what went wrong.

Back