• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mikeward

Registered
I've got my TH7-II running at 133FSB, with the memory at 533Mhz. Like everyone else, I don't want to burn my system up... I know what temps are okay for the CPU but what about the memory? Any suggestions on how I can know that my system is running at a safe speed?

Last edited:
As near as I can tell, we are sort of the RDRAM temp and cooling pioneers here at overclockers.com and there is probably not a definitive answer yet. My guess is that if the RAM gets too warm, you'll lose stability and the system will crash or lock up before it'll cause any permanent damage. From my initial experiments, it would appear that a side blowhole fan will significantly cool the RDRAM, plus it'll also cool the clock generator chips and help lower the whole system (mobo) temps by a couple degrees too. This certainly helped with stability in my computer at higher FSB speeds. It would also seem that smaller RDRAM modules (like 64 meg or 128 meg sticks) seem to run cooler. There is also some evidence suggesting that single sided RDRAM might run a bit cooler than double side memory. We still need more data before we get all this figured out, but we're working on it. You might want to check out this thread.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=73334

Back