• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR vs SDRAM decision

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Novex

Registered
I need to upgrade my ram and was unlucky because I had no money to buy it before the price spike. I do now but am confused on what to get since the prices are so high. I see I have two options, buy 256MB of PC133 or buy 256MB of DDR 2100 and buy a new motherboard as soon as I get enough money later. I want to get the ram before the prices go up again. So my question, is the extra performance from the DDR worth the wait? I am suffering now with 128MB PC100 and I feel if I go with the sdram my computer will be outdated in a few months if it isnt already. I would buy it from Crucial or Mushkin.

Take a look at some of the refurbished mobo's at Newegg.com. Cheap and still come under warranty. I've even heard of refurbished boards being rma'd and replaced with new ones. Just make sure to get the board in and tested as soon as you can. Some of the boards there are real good. Seen Epox 8k7a, abit kr7a and the venerable shuttle ak31 on the cheap as refurbished.

Well, there is no point in buying normal sd ram today. It's slow compare to ddr sd ram. And as prices are rising, I would say you should go with the ddr and buy a new motherboard also.

Ely

Last edited:
ok thats what I was thinking. What boards support PC2700?
I was looking at the refurbished boards at newegg but I wanted to get something that could support pc2700. Would Mushkins PC2700 be a good choice?

the only boards that support memory at pc2700 speeds are the kt333 and other chipsets (one from ALI and one from SIS)

id reccommend a good quality kt266a board and pc2100 crucial ram
easily overclockable, and very speedy

If your are short on cash, you shouln't get pc 2700 ram or motherboards that support it. A really good buy would be the abit kr7a and crucial pc 2100. It's relativly cheap, and offers great performance. The kr7a is a good board, and with good oc possibility. And crucial is the best oc'ing ram, so you should be able to hit at least pc 2400 with that ram. If I were going ot buy a new computer today, these would be my mobo and ram.

Ely

Epox 8KHA+ w/ 256 Corsair PC2400 CL2 has my vote. Crucial needs tons of adjusting to get to PC2700+.

Corsair is the only brand with rated CAS2 timings at PC2400 (140fsb). Epox has FSB up to 200, and your definitely not going to past 180fsb with Crucial if you however manage to get there, ya never knwo..

Yodums

Another option is the MSI K7T266 Pro raid USB 2.0 mobo , can find it new for $79 US online , it is not the newer 266a chipset, but it is a damn good board imho. I have never had a problem, get yourself some GOOD Crucial pc2100, the stuff can run 170 fsb with proper case cooling, that is sweet .

Other wise buy the new KT333 chipset and some good 2100 ddr ram or if ya wanna spend more pc2700, but good Crucial pc2100 will run the same timings as pc2700 for less cash

Cisco KID

eithier shuttle ak31 or Epox 8KHA+ is what I would recommend if you want a good overclocker at a resonable price. Don't ever get a VIA chipset on first revison just look at the kt133 or kt266 wait until the kt333a comes out. Crucial is good until about 160 using aggressive timings.

I have had good luck with the past Abit boards I have had so im going with the KR7a. I need the raid though, but which controller do you think is better, promise or highpoint. I could stick with the highpoint which im using now with great performance, but would buying the KR7a and a promise card offer more? It would be the same price about.

Back