• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.2 Or 2.0 Which To Buy This Month? Advice Please!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SHANTROY1

ok here's the deal. always been an intel lover and upgrading to a new system from my 1.5 most of my gear is reusable.

will be either 2.0 or 2.2 p4
evga 128mb geforce 4
256md rdram (samsung)
2 ibm 60 gig hd on promise raid array
abit th7-2 motherboard

QUESTION IS WHICH PROCESSOR WILL OVERCLOCK TO THE HIGHEST DEGREE 2.0 NORTHWWOD OR 2.2?

all i'm missing is the vidoe card(preordered for march 28)

prefer someone who has actually overclocked these or knows of a link to an article they have seen comparing the 2
THX
T

P4 2.0a Northwood @ 2.6 G w/Retail HSF, Abit TH7II, 77 bios 1.85 volts , 4x256 Samsung rdram 16 device, wd 40gig ide, Visiontek Ti4600 128 meg Video Baby,Creative Audigy gamer, Nec USB 2.0 adaptor, 40 gig USB 2.0 external very fast drive, 2 cd burners TDK/Plextor, 21” Mitsubishi Big screen

chip is about $335 for 2.0a or $535 for 2.2
i chose the 2.0a

If money is no object and you want the best CPU that will overclock the most, then the 2.2 gig Northwood is for you. However, if you want the best bargain, then I'd have to recommend the 1.8a gig Northwood. For about $200 they are almost guaranteed to reach 133 FSB which is 2.4 gig. With good Samsung RDRAM, this is about the most you can run the memory at full speed which gives you the best performance. If you want to risk trying to reach a higher overclock, then the 2.0a gig Northwood might be your cup of tea (but they cost a bit more than the 1.8a of course). Average overclocks with excellent cooling and bumping up the voltage seems to be 2.5 to 2.6 gig (see my signature).

well you show me where you can buy one?like and url to the 2.4a and showing in stock.or there is no 2.4a
Yet

P4 2.0a Northwood @ 2.6 G w/Retail HSF, Abit TH7II, 77 bios 1.85 volts , 4x128 Samsung rdram 16 device, wd 40gig ide, Visiontek Ti4600 128 meg Video Baby,Creative Audigy gamer, Nec USB 2.0 adaptor, 40 gig USB 2.0 external very fast drive, 2 cd burners TDK/Plextor, 21” Mitsubishi Big screen

im looking for the link it was a p4 2.4 7 38 bucks or something... not sure if it was in stock didnt have the cash to find out...

well i'll be damned theres the link there may only be 1 left after today thx mate

If you got cash and you wanna blow it, go all out. If not, go for a 1.8A.

Cheers

Id go with the 1.8a and ddr ram, its ability to o/c is much better than even the best rdram. Sure some memory bandwith is lost, but with the high FSB that you will be running DDR will be screaming. RDRAM just doesn't seem to like the really high stuff. Maybe try an AUSU p4s333 I think that is what it is, PC2700 DDR is really close to RDRAM anyways. Just my thoughts.

Actually, we're finding out that Samsung PC800 RDRAM overclocks quite well, especially with a bit of extra cooling. It seems that the DRCG chips that control the RDRAM might be what holds the RDRAM back in some situations. If your mobo has good ICS clock generator chips, then RDRAM kicks butt on the DDR memory.

Back