• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4BDA & 4BDA2+ performace thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zervun

Well I'd like to open this thread to tweaking tips etc.

First off I'm running rock hard stable at 2307mhz and this board is f**in amazing, I can't express how happy I am with it, and it is the posters on here that made my decision to get this =). I know I can OC it far more, this is just my first day on it.

Anyway, I increased mem voltage to 2.8v my samsung pc2700 seems to really dig the extra volts, processor is running at 1.6v although mbm5 doesn't seem to be able to keep track of the cpu volts, shows 1.5 constant (I could be doing it wrong)

So far I got

1.6a Costa Rica clocked at 2307 stock [email protected]
Epox 4BDA
Maxtor 20gig ata133 7200rpm
Maxtor 30gig ata66 7200rpm
(both on same ide channel gonna have to fix that)
TDK 32x10x40x burner
Acer 50x CD
Belkin 10/100 networking card
Samsung pc2700 [email protected]
ATI 8500 Retail 295/285 stock heatsink
chieftec 1030 antec clone with chainwell 420watt ps

36c minload 40c maxload w/case closed

benchmarking in at 9677 on 3dmark2001SE so far

havn't crashed a bit

Is this a pretty respectable score in 3dmark? Also was wondering if I should be setting the memory settings manually, currently have everything on auto. Anyone know what the samsung ram can do? Also should I be thinking of putting a fan on the 845 chipset heatsink? the 4bda regular didn't come with one.

I have the 4BDA2+

1.6A @ 2.45 - 1.675v, 35C idle, 42 C load, SwiftechMCX478 with Panaflo fan

Zalman chipset cooler on northbridge with a Sunon 40x20mm Fan.

2 X 512mb Corsair XMS PC2700 DDR (Samsung 6ns chips) - 2.8v
Settings 2,5,2,2. Refresh mode - 7.8

In MBM5, Core 0 actually monitors the Vagp and Core 1 monitors Vcore. That's why u are getting a constant 1.5v reading for your CPU. You can verify this by looking at these values in bios' PC health section.

I am not too happy with the temperatures. I will cut a few blowholes in the Antec SX1240 when I have the time.

Here is a copy of my thread from my hardforum thread thought I would throw it here also just because I posted alot of my statistics in here. I made this because a lot of discussion over there about what MB to buy

Also is that 1.675 volts via what MBM says, the bios health, or the actually setting u set it at. I get different readings on all of them now. Got the 1.5 agp thingy on core 0 also. Do you think it is worth it to put a chipset cooler on it? The stock 4BDA doesn't have one.

-----------------
Well I've finally done some testing since I got my combo. If I up the voltage a bit I can run fine at 2400mhz but it's running hot at nearly 58c under load and too high for my tastes. I think it even needs more volts but I need better cooling. Looks like the Costa Rica's are just as good chips as the Maly chips but seems like they need better voltage. Going to finish up my watercooling setup soon. It was crashing prime95@2400mhz but I think that's only because it needs more volts. Was giving me random number error expecting .5 or something and got .4. I'm just thinking it needs more juice. I did though play Counter-Strike for 4 hours straight at 2400mhz with no crashes however I'm anal about stability now sine my last via motherboard. I stepped it back a notch and this is what I'm sitting at right now. This is the rock hardest stable setup every. I'll bump it up right when I get water but for the moment this is so stable it's fine. BTW I think it is essential you have a very very nice PS with these 1.6's they seem to like good clean juice. I got in on the chieftec w/420watt chain well and it's friggin amazing for both cooling and juice. With the setup below I am running at over 8 hours now on prime95 and have also been doing programming through ssh secure shell to my server at the university, playing my tdk mp3player for over 2 hours, and I just burned a iso image with my tdk32x just to test it out. It is still trucking seriously strong.

On the MBM 5 - Dashboard

Core 1 = 1.57 - 1.6 (shows higher in bios about .5)
+3.3v = 2.85v constant
+5v = 4.95v - 5 constant
+12.00v = 12.16+++!!!!!!! That's right with more cpu usage it goes up to 12.28!!!! It looks as though it senses the cpu needs the juice and is feeding it amazingly!
-12.00v = -12.52v! Same thing here goes up with cpu usage

I think this is because of the chain well, this is the best power supply I have ever owned.

My setup

1.6a Costa Rica@2211
1.60v 35c/50c(load)[MBM differs in bios voltage & temps higher]
System 25c
Samsung 512mb pc2700 2.8v MB, 2.86v MBM
Ram set to cas 2!!!, Turbo settings
Epox 4BDA
Stock Intel Heatsink w/arctic silver
Maxtor 7200rpm 20gig ATA133
Maxtor 7200rpm 30 gig ATA66
Belkin 10/100
ATI Radeon Retail 295/290
Acer 50x
TDK 32x10x40 CDRW (best cdr I have ever had won't burn a coaster for the life of me)
Chieftec/Antec clone w/door & Chain Well Bad *** PS
3x 80mm junk fans (got nidecs comin my way)

Rock, Rock, Rock hard stable, running EQ even perfectly even with my radeon 8500.

Anyway as I'm typing this message I'm hitting about 8.5 hours of prime95 running ssh, 4 windows of IE, MBM5, tdk mp3 player, Powerstrip, and I just recently burned a cd, all at the same time. I'm next going to try running 3dmark2001se on top of all of this lol and see what it does, will post what happens.

I definately need water cooling though, my costa needs more juice. I thought about cutting out the fan on the stock heat sink & glueing my delta onto it, but I'm trying to go towards a really quiet comp. There are alot of good HS's out there for this chip like the alpha but I didn't want to have to plop down 40 bucks when I'm going water soon.

Go out and get this combo you won't be dissapointed and I have the feeling I got lots more comin.

Oh yea forgot about the ram, it's also doing cas 2 and turbo settings in the bios and doing just perfect, damn good ram especially for the price. Btw got everything from newegg cept ram which came from kommax - highly recommend both, they both came early and cheap shipping

-----------------------------------------

I set the Vcore to 1.675v in the bios, MBM5's reading is constantly 0.5v less. The Vcore does not fluctuate much even when I am folding or running Prime95.

I set Vagp to +0.1v and and it stays +/-0.01v of 1.6v. My GF3 TI200 seems to like the extra juice.

I guess adding a chipset cooler wouldn't hurt. The Zalman heatsink only feels slightly warm to the touch even with the fan off.

However, the heat spreaders on my ram feels pretty toasty when I ran them at 184mhz.

hm I might have 2 pick up some heat spreaders. I swear that my ram isn't even warm to the touch though, I'll have to check again.

Right now I'm a at a toss up between water cooling and air cooling, I'm strapped on cash so my dream of water cooling is probably going to have to wait a bit. I'm thinking of getting that huge box of nidec fans off the anandtech deal because I need them, buying the new alpha heatsink, and putting one of those on it.

My 1.6A is from Malaysia and it has been looping 3dm2k1 for 12 hrs plus at 2419mhz @ 1.625v.

Did u try running ur ram with the memory frequency option set to DDR266? At 150fsb, this 4/3 option will push your ram to 200mhz.

I am wondering if the regular Samsung sticks will do as well as the `handpicked' Corsair PC2700 since both use the same chips. Is your Samsung 1 x 512mb or 2 x 256mb?

I have not ventured into the realm of watercooling yet, I just started dabbling in peltiers and it was fun pushing my old P3 cpus a little higher. I may experiment water cooling on my AMD system built around the 8K7A.

Back