• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory Errors above 137 FSB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ophedian

This is my system:

ASUS A7V-133 (without the Raid) BIOS 1008 Beta 001-D
Windows 2000 Server SP2
Athlon 1.4
256MB Ram PC133 OEM
ATI ALL-WONDER-PRO 128 (with TV-Out)

I am trying to get 1600MHZ out of this Anthlon, I know that it can do it, but how do I solve the memory issue. I know that on some boards you can set the Ram to a lower number if your ram can not support it, but this ASUS board will not allow to set the ram frequency once you go above 130. What ever you choose as the FSB, is what the ram is stock at.

I have managed to get 1586MHz out of the Athlon at these settings:

11.5 Multiplier
137 FSB
VCore 1.85

It has been running stable for about two weeks now, no crashes.
ASUS Probe reports:
54c/129f CPU temp
28c/82f MB Temp

However, when I go to 139 FSB, The computer Posts, but windows gives me memory dump errors. I know this because I see memory addresses on the famous blue screen when windows boots. I can not go to a 12 multiplier because the computer will not post.

NOTE: I have not bridged the L1 bridges as I am using the CMOS Jumperless settings.

Please help, as I would like to get more potential out of this system.

Hi ophedian, welcome to the Forum,
Please, what kind of HeatSink & Thermal Paste are you using? your Cpu temps are a little hotter! even if generally thermistors on Asus boards, aren't very accurate ;) so the prob can be related to heat, or the mem module that doesn't want to go higher.

Adriano

Equipment OverHead

Okay, thanks guys.

I am using an OEM Fan that came with the CPU. The heatsink is physically warm to the touch but it does not seem hot. So I am thinking that I okay.. I have tried to run several things that are CPU Intensive like running looped Divx encoded videos that keep the CPU at 70% load for 20 minutes and no problem from the CPU. However , I have tried things that are memory intensive like running 3DMark 2000 Demo, Scanning for Viruses on all 6 of Harddrives and doing Defragments on them and the system crashes. So I am not sure if it is the RAM[Most likely or the Bus that can not handle it(doubt that)].

Please let me know, since I am new to heavy duty equipment and I am a student, so keep prices down.

1) Best Memory to Buy that is PC133 3.3volt unbuffered that can run at 145 FSB
2) A good Cooling fan that will keep the system low

I want to run the system at atleast 1600Mhz at either

11.5 x 139 FSB at 1.85 volts or
11 x 145 FSB at 1.92 volts.

Thanks again,
You guys are great.

Onestly, first of all, I'll go with another kind of HeatSink, OEM aren't good at all!, a cheaper and cool way can be the Glaciator II, especially considering that is in bundle with a small amount of Cooling Flow thermal paste ;) and if possible add a couple of Case fans, one for the intake (front/low) and one for the exhaust (up/back).
Take a look at Millennium Thermal Solutions for more info, and let us know if it helps you :)

Adriano

6 hdd's? thats a bit of overkill there...i didnt even know it was possible...yes i agree with The Doors as would every1 else here, a good heatsink is key for good cpu temps and yours are a little scary

<EDIT> look around at what every1 is buying for ram and see if you like what you hear... a good online store is www.newegg.com for starters but if you want to run over to bestbuy and get some there then by all means

Back