• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

good abit mobo to overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peter p

Which is a good abit motherboard to overclock? I need one that has vcore adjustments in the bios, at least up to 2.0 volts and that you can adjust fsb for cpu and fsb for memory, seperately.

Abit ST6, this will give you future Tualatin support in case you decide to upgrade the processors later on. The only problem is that the vcore will not go up to 2.0v without a voltage mod or wire wrapping the CPU VID pins. I don't think there are any Abit mobos that will allow that much voltage right out of the box.

batboy said:
Abit ST6, this will give you future Tualatin support in case you decide to upgrade the processors later on. The only problem is that the vcore will not go up to 2.0v without a voltage mod or wire wrapping the CPU VID pins. I don't think there are any Abit mobos that will allow that much voltage right out of the box.
how high will the voltage setting go on the ST6?

The ST6 using a Coppermine P-III 700 will have more voltage settings available than with a Tualatin, but I'm not sure how much more. I was thinking about 1.9v or so depending on what stepping you have.

batboy said:
The ST6 using a Coppermine P-III 700 will have more voltage settings available than with a Tualatin, but I'm not sure how much more. I was thinking about 1.9v or so depending on what stepping you have.
My stepping is cBo. I can only step up to 2.05 volts in one jump vid pinning, but my temps go to 53 celcius full load.
I have it overclocked to 980 mhz @ 140/ 140 fsb. Full load temps are 40 celcius at 1.65 default voltage. Can't seem to get it over the 1000 mhz. My next step is 145/145 which locks up in 3d games.
Thats why I thought on getting another motherboard with bios voltage adjustments.

Last edited:
I have a p3-700 @ 1120 in an abit vh6t mobo that seems very stable @ 1.8v. That is the highest bios setting without doing a vid pin mod. I belive the st6 is pretty much the same board except the vh6t uses a Via chip set. I originaly bought it to put my Cely 1.3a in but so far the cely has not oc,d very well in that mobo so I stuck my old p3-700 in and just thought I,d try it out and it was so successful I stuck my cely 1.3a back in my old MSi mobo @ 1456. Now I have two pretty good computers to play with although I still wish I had bought a 1.1a or 1.2a. I will probably buy one to compare.

Good luck I hope this is useful info.

It's a tough chore to get those cB0 P-III's above 1 gig. My 700 cC0 will do a stable 1071, but the last cB0 Coppermine I had would only reach 978 MHz. I'd say you're about at the limit for your CPU.

Back