• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can an xp2000 use pc2700?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rass02

Registered
got my soltek v5 in and i was setting up the voltages and everything, and it says to run 133 bus speed, yet to get the pc2700 i believe you have to run it higher, anyways so will my xp2000 run that, if it does, how would i go about it.

Welcome to the forums!! Your board uses the Via 333 chipset which supports the PC2700/333 specification. Whether or not your CPU and other components will be up to the task of running 166x2MHz or not is left to testing and tweaking...quite a few factors come into play.

I checked the Soltek site but didn't see any mention of a PCI divisor which would allow you to run the a high CPU FSB while keeping your PCI and AGP speeds in (or close to) specification. Have you seen any settings for a PCI/AGP Divisor in the BIOS?

Actualy i was looking at it today and there is a jumper for different voltages for the agp, then there are jumpers and switches to run different voltages and bus speeds to the ram, and there is also a switch for the multiplier.

Are you generally familar with the basics of overclocking and what the side effects of changing most of the settings you mention are? What kind of cooling are you using currently? You may want to browse over some of the guides on the main page before you make any giant leaps.

If you feel you're ready, I would take small steps. Download a stability program like Folding@Home or Seti@Home and raise your FSB a few notches, then run a stability program for a while to be sure that everything is stable. You might also want to download a program like Motherboard Monitor to keep an eye on temps and voltage, fans, etc. Most of the info above is covered in the guides I first mentioned.

Two other points...1..you might want to post a general question regarding the success people are having with the mobo your using in the "Other AMD Mobos" section. 2..To successfully run 166MHz, my guess would be you might need to lower the multipler of the CPU (or be using super cooling) to hit 166x12.5=2.07GHz. Another hurdle to overcome as unlocking the new XP's has proven to be a little tricky. Read over some of the guides..good luck!

ok for cooling, i first bought the lan lia pc-60 aluminum case(still comtemplating on taking out the hard drive rack) i then got the dragon orb 3 7500 rpm, to monitor i purchased the pc doc which monitors temps and voltages, i also installed an intake on my power sorce. Below my radeon 8500 i installed a pci eshaust fan which will sirculate are past it, plus i plan on pulling the creative drive from my SB live plat. and installing a hard drive cooler.

rass02 said:
got my soltek v5 in and i was setting up the voltages and everything, and it says to run 133 bus speed, yet to get the pc2700 i believe you have to run it higher, anyways so will my xp2000 run that, if it does, how would i go about it.

The rule:

mb/s=fsb*8 (one byte=8bit)*2 (ddr reads two times in the same cycle). So then

pc 2100=133*8*2 (fsb=133)
pc 2700=166*8*2 (fsb=166)

So the whole point in buying pc 2700 instead of pc 2100 is because it runs at a higher fsb than the pc 2100. But it all comes down to the point if you're hdd, pci cards, agp card, cd roms +++ can handle the fsb. If you have a pci divider option on you're mobo, use it!

Ely

Back