• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

asus p3v4x setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M00CH

could anyone give me the best options to run this board.

i have
p3 733 133 fsb
384megs pc-133 ram
ge-force 256 ddr32meg
sb live value
10/100 network card

i have good cooling and no temp probs under load at 733 around 32-36c

i just want it to oc a little better all it will do now is 875 and it shakey at that.. i know it has more in it i just need to unlock it secrets..

dont leave out any details...

I have the same board and am running with the stock HSF that came with the P3 500. What HSF do you use? My temps run very high and I am trying some different things to get them down.
Sorry I can't offer any OC advise. I got to get these temps down first.
However, I would like to know what you do, as I would like to OC soon.
Thanks. :)

im using the stock H/F i just lapped (finished it off with 2000grit)
and a small dab of thermal paste..

oh but i do have a 120mm fan blowing over it (cut out the side of the case and added it. it blows over the CPU, n/bridge, and ram slots).

other than that i have a front case fan and two exhast fans..

my max temp now 100% load (overnight seit running) never went above 40c..

if i can find out anymore ill let ya know..

hope ya get the 500 overclocked soon..

I too have this board. It is arguably the pinnacle of all slot one motherboards.....
Anyway, I've been running a p3 550 (CA2 stepping) @ 733 for about two years now, with a Alpha p3125 heatsink. I'm not using the 60mm delta's that came with the h/s though as they screeched me out of my mind, and now have a 120mm panaflo mounted onto the heasink with zip ties....much quieter, and overall better cooling.

PS...have any of you p3v4x users actually managed to fill up all six pci slots, and if you have, were there any problems?

Another thing I would like to try is to see if the board will really take 2gb of sdram....yikes....

Lumberjack,

I have heard of the P3125, but I want to try and lap the HS/F first before I spend any money. I have had a heat problem since day one on this processor, although it is basically a new system compared to what it was when it was first purchased. I have read from somebody in this forum that the P3 Katmai are known to run hot, but my processor runs nearly at it's thermal threshold during intense usage. I have read that it's max range is 75*c. However, I have not had a stability problem. I can't try any O/C untill I can get these temps down. I may try watercooling.
I would like to stay in touch so I can ask you about O/C questions.
Thanks.

I have 2 of these boards, and the FSB is 148 and 150 respectively.

Pull off the greenie heatsink, and put some thermal paste on the northbridge chip. Asus ships these without even putting a thermal pad on them.

Get a small "cheapy" heatsink, or cut up an older one, and mount it on the clock generator chip.

Use a decent to good quality HSF on the CPU, and get some decent airflow though your case.

This will go a long way towards getting a good OC on the P3V4X.

I can send you a copy of my BIOS setup if you would like.

PS. My P3V4X with my P3-733 chip is running stable at 825.

I've been playing with a P3V4X, P3B-F, BE6-II Ver. 2.0, and P3C-E board the last couple of weeks. Verdict: you can't beat Asus boards for one thing. Hefty PCB, very stable, idiot-proof installation. The BE6-II is real flaky and flimsily built. When you boot up, you have to press the DEL key several times to enter the BIOS; sometimes you pass it. The best thing it has going for it is a sensational BIOS and the 440BX chip (plus the ATA100 RAID).

The P3B-F is balls-out the most robust board I've seen. Really fast, snappy, and super stable. It boots up faster than my XP 1650 system. Unfortunately, it doesn't have as many FSB options as the P3V4X (if you got the ICS clock generator) or the BE6-II. But with a chip most boards will do 133-138 FSB with, the P3B-F will probably hit 140, and with a chip that will do 140-148, the P3B-F will hit 150, so who needs it.

The P3V4X is not as quick as the 440BX, but it is very stable compared to the flaky BE6-II. It probably won't go as high as it either. But one good thing is the Alpha P3125 heatsink barely fits the board while clearing the first DIMM. I can't fit the heatsink on the P3B-F, much less the BE6-II, so I'm going to have to grind the fins down and cut away part of the shroud. It's well worth it since in my experience, nothing can touch this sink for cooling. It definitely outperforms any Alpha PAL on a Socket 370, what with the dual fans and huge copper surface. You should see sub 30 idle temps and stress temps rarely exceeding 35 C. The next best thing is the Golden Orb, which I'm currently using on the P3B-F and BE6-II. It is only 2-3 C behind the P3125 and fits all the boards no sweat. I've tried all the other heatsinks, even those with copper insert, and they go well over 45 C with my hot 850E at 1053. It barely hits 40 with the Golden Orb.

But if you have to beg, borrow, or steal, pick up a P3B-F if you can find one cheap on Ebay, preferably the latest 1.04 revision (I found four of 'em here in Japan - not for sale though). My third rig is an overclocked Coppermine, that's why I've been playing around with these boards.

Also, the performance of these boards are really acceptable. All you need is a Coppermine you can get to 900-1000 mhz at around a 133-155 FSB. I have a Radeon 8500 and I can play most my games at 1600x1200x32, all settings maxed, and that includes Ghost Recon, Serious Sam Second Encounter, RTCW, and MOH Allied Assault. The latter is iffy with SDRAM but is actually playable with 512 MB of RDRAM on the P3C-E. QuakeIII is a *****cat on all the boards. The 440BX chipset at 150 FSB really flies. 'Course I'm running the games off a 10K Cheetah U160 drive, and another reason is the video card is your limiting factor at such high resolutions. But a high FSB and fast drive will still get you a lot of mileage with the Coppermines.

Back