• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ST 6 Ram Speeds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DRR93454

I am trying to run my memory at 133 while the CPU is at 100 fsb. In the manual it looks like I can but the option is Xed out in bios. Has anyone been able to do this on the ST6 like a lot of other boards? I am using the Celly Tulatin 1.200 with PC 133 ram.

False Christian said:
You'll have to use the 4:4:1 divider to have your RAM running at the same speed as your front-side bus. I don't know why 3:3:1 defaults the RAM to 100MHz. It shouldn't but it does.

How does that make any sense. In either aplication the ram runs at the same speed as the FSB. To my knowledge there is no way to run the RAM at any speed faster than that of the FSB. 3:3:1=100CPU 100MEM 33mhz PCI 4:4:1=100CPU 100MEM 25PCI

In order for the memory to run faster than the CPU you would need a multiplier (as in cases with RDRAM & DDR), not a divider, something like 3:4:1

{PMS}fishy said:

How does that make any sense. In either aplication the ram runs at the same speed as the FSB. To my knowledge there is no way to run the RAM at any speed faster than that of the FSB. 3:3:1=100CPU 100MEM 33mhz PCI 4:4:1=100CPU 100MEM 25PCI

In order for the memory to run faster than the CPU you would need a multiplier (as in cases with RDRAM & DDR), not a divider, something like 3:4:1

On some boards you can run the RAM at different FSB's then your CPU. I run an ST6, and I am still trying to find were I can bump up my voltage to my Ram.

I have an abit Vh6t that is very similar to st6 and I can run my memory @ host/clock, host-33 ,or host+33 its all in the bios settings. I believe that you will find the same on your board.

I have run my 1.3a @ 117 fsb and run the ram @ 117+33 before however it was sort of pushing the ram speed and I hade to set my timings for cl3 ram. As for ram voltage in the bios I don't believe you have any bois settings for that.

What processor are you running?

That's The Idea !!

I have run my Ram at +33 on a lot of boards and want to do so on the ST6, but no luck. I can not run my CPU at 133, but my Ram will do so easily.

davefred99 said:
I have an abit Vh6t that is very similar to st6 and I can run my memory @ host/clock, host-33 ,or host+33 its all in the bios settings. I believe that you will find the same on your board.

I have run my 1.3a @ 117 fsb and run the ram @ 117+33 before however it was sort of pushing the ram speed and I hade to set my timings for cl3 ram. As for ram voltage in the bios I don't believe you have any bois settings for that.

What processor are you running?

You can do that on your VH6T because it uses a VIA chipset which allows +/-33 for your memory. The ST6 uses an Intel chipset which does not allow this, nor allow ram voltage adjustments. Within an FSB range of 97-140Mhz, you only have 3:3:1, 4:3:1 and 4:4:1. First # is Cpu,2nd # is ram and 3rd # is PCI. The ram and PCI #'s both get divided by the CPU# to get your timings.With FSB set to 100, your ram will run at 100 using 3:3:1(3/3) and 4:4:1(4/4). Using 4:3:1(3/4) would cause the ram to run at 66. That's all there is. Now as you increase your FSB, your ram speed also increases. Running FSB of 117 usig 3:3:1 or 4:4:1 will run your memory at 117 also.

Ya learn something everyday, I didnt know the Via chipset was that much different. What do you realy gain by clk+33 as I dont see a big difference in SiSoft Sandra 2002 memory tests ??

This is an odd way but what you have to do is if you have a 100mhz CPU and PC133mem to get the option to choose 133mhz for the memory you have to use the setting for your CPU meaning 1200(12x100) type listing where the FSB setting and all is greyed out. Once you set it that way you can then choose to run your memory at auto, 100mhz, or 133mhz. But that's it. Really screwy I know but that's the way Abit has it. I've mentioned to them they need to change that tho so the memory can follow along with the fsb in that if you increase the FSB to say 110 for your CPU speed and the memory was at 133mhz then the memory would then move up to 143mhz. Course I haven't heard anything back from them on that yet.

Mr Natural

You are correct as far as reading the manual, but it flat don't work as advertised. The box to set the mem to 133 is always grayed out on my board. To the guy who asked is there a difference between running the memory at 100 vs 133? You better believe there is a tremendous increase. Thats why I wanted to do it like on my VIA boards. Oh Well:rolleyes:

Hmmmm. Very strange. I've had 1 other person who has the same problem. I can change the memory speed from 100 to 133 with no problem. Now getting it to follow along with the fsb is another thing. If you go to use the manual settings of the fsb to increase your CPU speed then it locks you out and your memory will only run at the speed you have manually set the FSB speed at.

I've told Abit about it but have heard nothing back from them. May not either. At the rate the PIII is phasing out on the desktop market, don't look to see much more in the way of bios updates or support for the PIII boards in the coming months. They will probably just keep them going as long as the PIII Celeron series is around and that's it.

Now after looking at those marks I decided to toss mine up and show you how these boards do when working right. Why it's not allowing you to change tho I don't know. Anyway. Here's a couple of pics of my Tualatin 1.2ghz running at 1.5ghz.

tualatin1500mhzsyscpu.GIF
tualatin1500mhzsismm.GIF

tualatin1500mhzsismem.GIF

I think we are not comparing the same things here. You get a much higher memory bench because of your overall high FSB 168 were as mine is only at 112 fsb. I get similar benches on my other system with my p3-700@1120 (160fsb). I simply sent my benches on my tuly 1.3a as a comparison between running the memory @ HLK+33 vs HLK . As you can see there is some benifit but not as great as running your both your FSB and memory at a higher clock speeds at the same time.

This is why I beleive that it is always preferable to OC with cpu's that will run above 133mhz otherwise you loose out on the memory bandwith side even if you can run your memory faster than your CPU you will not get great results.

DaveFred99-Thats Awsome !!

Man, I wish I had never started this thread. DaveFreds scores put me to shame. That P4 ain't too shabby either. Would you believe my mem scores at 100mz are about 375? You can see why i'm wanting to pick them up. (I am at cas 2-2-2)

DRR93454
Just for kicks I set my Cely 1.3a to default memory settings of 100 and ran a bench. I am not sure how Sisoft Sandra calculates the memory bench and or how much the CPU clock multiplier figures in all of this but @ Memory & FSB timeings @100 we are not to far apart. Have you tried any overclocking of the FSB yet even if you can not run your memory faster it will help everything else. From what I have seen with a 1.2a cely you should be able to hit 1500 pretty easy and the ST6 should be really stable too!

It willdo 125 fsb !

Mine will do 125 fsb but is not real stable. I have not vid-pinned it yet. Temps are good. I have better memory scores on most all of my BX Boards. Gotta Love Them.!!!

Back