• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem flashing Asus cuv4x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sicco1

Registered
Yesterday I tried flashing my bios on my cuv4x board, and downloaded the bios, flash.exe and aflash.exe.tried execute it, but it just doesn't do anything.

The flash.exe does work, but I'm pretty sure my board is PnP, so I should use the aflash utility.

Anyone some suggestions........?
:eh?:

Hi Sicco. The standard procedure on BIOS flashing is to load the flash utility, and the BIOS file on a bootable DOS floppy, then reboot to the A: prompt, run the flash utility, and go from there. If this is what you did, where did it go wrong? You should use the flash utility that matches your BIOS. If you have Award, use Aflash, AMI, their utility. I'm just covering the basics in case you missed something.

Hi Sicco1

It's me again...

First thing to do is to make a bootable diskette. Insert a formatted blank floppy in drive A: and type "sys a:" - without the quotes - from any DOS section (from Windows 98, e.g.).

Then copy aflash.exe and the unzipped bios file of your mb to it.
Restart your machine, go to BIOS menu and under Exit choose
"Load Setup Defaults". This will make the upgrade safer.

Restart your machine and boot from the floppy. At the prompt type "aflash" and hit [ENTER].

Choose "1" to save your original BIOS. Enter the full path for the BIOS file, like this: "A:\XXX-XX.YYY" (If it's a Award bios then YYY=AWD). After the "BIOS Saved Successfully" message, hit [ESC] to go to the main menu.

Now choose "2" and inform the name of the new bios file, full path: "A:\NNN-NN.XXX". It'll show some info, like date and checksum etc, and ask if you want to proceed.

Press "Y" and cross your fingers... :eek: ... just kidding!!!:D

After the "Flashed Successfully" (I hope) message, hit [ESC] to return to the main menu and [ESC] again to exit the program.
Shut down your machine and unpplug it from the power for about 1 min.

Turn it on again and go to BIOS menu. Go to Exit and choose "Load Setup Defaults". Restart your machine and at the post behold your new BIOS version. Let the boot continue to make the changes effective. Remove the floppy from the drive and keep it in a safe place. Restart the computer again and customize your options in the BIOS menu. Don't try to overclock yet!!!. First see if the machine behaves normally, if there's any conflict in "Control Panel", and run some benchmarks.

Now you can start playing around with frequencies and voltages.

Good luck.

[]'s:burn:

..........................................................................................................
ASUS CUSL2 (i815E) BIOS v1009 (using onboard VGA)
Pentium III (SL52P cD0) 800EB @ 1.0 GHz (FSB/SDRAM/PCI = 166/166/42 MHz)
2 x 256MB Crucial PC133 SDRAM @ 3-2-2-5/7 (only one in use)
IBM DeskStar 60GXP 60 GB
SB Audigy MP3+
Lucent Winmodem 56K
HP CD-Writer 9300 Plus
Sony DVD 1211-82 (12x)
Windows 2000 Professional
Red Hat Linux 7.1

Thanks for the info so far guys, but the problem I have occurs earlier. According to the asus homepage I should determine what kind of flash utility to use by running it and see wat it says. I'm sure I have a PnP bios, but the aflash utility doesn't work and the flash does work.

When runnig the aflash it sais 'can't run in protected mode'. Since I run win2000 I don't know if there's a way around that. My question: anybody have the same motherboard and know what utility to use?

I'm kinda scared to just 'go ahead and try.....'
:(

You must not run the aflash.exe utility from a DOS section in any Windows version!

You must make a clean boot using the diskette created as described in my last post. It must contain only the command.com file, the aflash.exe utility (yes, your MB is PnP), and the bios file CV4X1009.AWD, if you are updating to the latest version.

Win ME/2K are not indicated to make such bootable disks. Use Win 9X.

[]'s :burn:

..........................................................................................................
ASUS CUSL2 (i815E) BIOS v1009 (using onboard VGA)
Pentium III (SL52P cD0) 800EB @ 1.0 GHz (FSB/SDRAM/PCI = 166/166/42 MHz)
2 x 256MB Crucial PC133 SDRAM @ 3-2-2-5/7 (only one in use)
IBM DeskStar 60GXP 60 GB
SB Audigy MP3+
Lucent Winmodem 56K
HP CD-Writer 9300 Plus
Sony DVD 1211-82 (12x)
Windows 2000 Professional
Red Hat Linux 7.1

Back