• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR or RDRAM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

i2fast4u

Registered
Aah the eternal question, or for the mean time which is the better of the two?

Personally I have to side with RDRAM Dual Channel cant beat 3.2GB/s memory bandwidth and the speed is right up there with the processors, not down with the FSB

I must disagree. RDRAM overclocks very well. Plus, at high overclocks, DDR has bandwidth problems that RDRAM doesn't. I would suggest RDRAM no matter what. It is barely more expensive than DDR, plus you have plenty of future bandwidth.:p

Actually, if the prices are not the same, Samsung rdram can be cheaper than some quality pc2700/3000. Not only is it the same price but it has more bandwidth and can keep up with the processor at higher frequencies where as DDR lags behind in many cases.

Well, it seems amd builder is correct. I don't know about the Samsung, but newegg has kingston 128 for only $34.00. That is cheaper than a lot of DDR out there. But i got Kingston because it was cheap and i was ordering it with other stuff from newegg. I haven't had any problems with it, but haven't overclocked my system to extremes yet. What are the benifits of Samsung over Kingston?:p

I doubt that Intel will bail on it soon. The performance is defitely there, and it has made itself a nice niche in the market. Right now, RDRAM is better, price turns out to be the same.

Au contrair my friend, at the recent Intel Developers Forum, Intel made it quite clear their focus will be on 32 bit RamBus for Xeon servers which eliminates the need for pairs of 16's this 4Q02. However, they show no plans beyond 05. They will throw their weight behind DDR and the newer JEDEC spec DDR II. This is not Intel promoted as much as pressure from chipset and mobo makers. An important note DDR 333 isn't even a standard yet, chipmakers are producing alot of incompatible chips. Samsung is hoping their so called "industry standard" is acceptable to us, they set the bar so low they probably could use every chip off the assembly line.

Really, well thanks for the tip. But i think that i'll stick with RDRAM for now anyway. At least until it is completely antiquated.:eh?:

The good news is that the 850 chipset will remain for the time being and expect it to be upgraded. Hopefully they'll use 32 bit, both channels on one stick, now that's bandwidth. It's a shame on Intel to bully the rambus into the market, as it is the best mem platform. Other than the overpricing of Intel chips, it was the best thing to happen to AMD. 90% of the world uses SDRAM and hasn't a clue to what it is; I heard it said when Intel announced rambus that you couldn't use your old ram with your P4, that scared off the technical dullards that make the buying public. As if they were planning to use that stick of 32meg PC100 in their new machine.

Its a shame that intel dosent wish to see thier product through, I think if they gave it some time, it would blow the doors off the DDR crowd and show what intel was really capable with. I too am going with RDRAM for now, I believe SDRAM type memory is a thing of the past and so many people feel they must hold on to get every last penny worth ot their old memory. I wish they'd just give it till 2010 or so to really see where it takes them.

Benchmarks of overclocked northwoods at Tom's Hardware show a P42600 with RDRAM outperforms a P43000 with DDR333 and the article comes to the conclusion that "Here, we can deduce that a DDR SDRAM module clocked at 137 MHz cannot deliver the necessary bandwidth in combination with the Pentium 4". Obviously these results are for very high clock speeds...but we're talking upgrade path here, right...?

I also remember reading in an article in CPU magazine that RDRAM has "shaky benchmark results for CAS latency", although they didn't show the benchmarks.

I'm pretty damn confused by this whole RAM thing in general...I plan on getting an AthlonXP and DDR333 and I'll just assume that I'll be able to play quake3 just fine :beer:

If you read alot reviews, such as Tom's, vr-zone, you'll also notice that every 333 board out there AMD and Intel board has yet to live up to their potential. I have never seen any review that didn't say that some 266 board (especially the Via and SiS demonstration boards) beat them. SiS just announced a improved Intel chipset that addresses some of these problems, the 645DX.

RD-Ram is not whats its thought to be.

So it has high clock speeds but it has much higher latency's, try runnning some DDR at 133 Cas2 and 150 Cas3, Cas2 will be quicker even at 133FSB.

Its also expensive, which is why they are phasing it out. However because of P4 switching to DDR the memory prices have shot up due to supply/demand.

Thanks Intel:(

There's no evidence that Intel are phasing out the RDRAM its just a load of bullcrap invented by people that bought DDR to make themselves think that its better. DDR can be run on 150FSB, wow, RDRAM can be run on 150FSB too.

I prefer DDR-SDRAM because it's an "open source" technology, while RD-RAM is privately owned.

Please Lord, no more monopolies! (That's my Easter wish)

Back