• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats the difference between Corsair 2400 and 2700?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ltww

I know I've asked varriations of this question, but I'd really appreciate some input on this.

I have a stick of 2700 Corsair on my 8KHA+ and want to buy some more, but being short of cash and not currently running the memmory at 333 I've been looking to buy 2 more sticks of 2400 stuff.

What I want to know is what are the differences between the 2 types? ...Will the 2400 run at the exact same speed as the 2700 when run at 266? ...I'm not a big overclocker, but I like the CAS 2!

Well logically thinking (and with a bit help from a PC magazine :) ) the faster RAM should be downwards compatible with the slower and NOT vise-versa.

If I understand what you are saying correctly then yes, you can use the corsair pc2400 with the pc2700 memory. This would mean that both modules would run at pc2400 (150mhz) and the pc2700 you have now would be underclocked.

I know of no currently made board that will support more than 2 memory slots at faster than 266. Both Via and SiS in tech docs explain this. Moreover, I would feel that any mixing of speeds will destabilize your board/memory/bus relationship. Another problem with the 2400 is no native support for that speed, it is used when the fsb is OCed.

SNIPER1M said:
I know of no currently made board that will support more than 2 memory slots at faster than 266. Both Via and SiS in tech docs explain this. Moreover, I would feel that any mixing of speeds will destabilize your board/memory/bus relationship. Another problem with the 2400 is no native support for that speed, it is used when the fsb is OCed.

Even if I run the 2400 and 2700 at 2100 together?

ltww said:

Even if I run the 2400 and 2700 at 2100 together?

Your limit is the speed of the slower stick. A 2400 and 2700 will both run fine at PC2100 fine. They will both run fine at PC2400. They will not necessarily both run at PC2700.

PC1600 - 200MHz (100 DDR)
PC2100 - 266MHz (133 DDR)
PC2400 - 300MHz (150 DDR)
PC2700 - 333MHz (166 DDR)

So I shouldn't expect anything more than a 150MHz FSB with some no-name PC2100? That's about as far as I could take it. If PCI cards weren't getting corrupted, I could take PC2400 or PC2700 to a higher stable FSB?
-JR

Corsair make great memory, if you use a 2400 and a 2700 stick together, chances are very high you can run at 166. The chips are actually the same, the only difference is that the 2700 are tested to run at 166, while the 2400 are only tested for 150. This is not a maximum value for both tests, it's a mininum value.

Before we get on this underclocking thing, not all memory will underclock to the other stick's speed, not all memory is happy with mixed latencies, even memory that is standardized such as PC100 and PC133 still has conflicts.

SNIPER1M said:

Ummmmmmmmm.......Could you point me to those Via Tech Docs...

I'd like to read up on this...

I'm currently running 3 sticks of Corsair 2400 256MB on my Epox 8KHA+ at 163 MHZ.....

I'd have 4 sticks if the board had 4 slots...

I tried running only 1 to see if I could go higher and the stability was the same as with 3.

Thanks
Larry

The Via and Sis info I got off Tom's Hardware reviews, I also believe Extreme Tech wrote about this issue. And if my memory serves me the owners manual for a buddy's SIS Dragon Plus said something on this issue. The max slots for 2700 is two but all are available for 2100.

Back