• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TH7II "Cold Boot Issue"?? - What is it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LarryJoe

I see folks referring to the TH7II "Cold Boot" issue. What is it?

I am running the 38 bios and have not had any problems. Just curious.

From my experience with the TH7II-R/1.6NW combo is whenever I made changes to the BIOS and saved with F10, the subsequent reboot hung at code 26. A press of the reset usually allowed a normal reboot afterwards. Sometimes it did the same when the system was powered off and went through its first boot. Restarts from Win2k, which I'm using, were ok. After flashing this 43a BIOS, it hasnt done so anymore.

FWIW, every Mainboard newsgroup has several threads with complaints of the same issue, so it's not specific to this particular board. It seems to be a result of overclocking Northwoods and not having enough voltage while it starts the POST process.

Wow was looking for an answer for days posted questions on Anandtech but no answer. I have the same problem, I have to hit reset when I oc to get it to boot past code 26. So are you saying I need to up my voltage(tryed up to 1.525 same prob) or do I need bios update just updated to 38

I'll say that I have had this problem, but it is rare. Like twice a month.

Gipat ... No. Increasing the CPU voltage does nothing to fix this particular issue. The POST process goes through various stages. If you watch the codes on the board they change during this process. Some of the codes are documented, while others are not. At some point during POST, it references the changes in BIOS made to the CPU voltage and continues. It is not the first thing it does. I've read this somewhere on the Phoenix(Award Bios) web site.

The start of POST is always at default voltage of CPU detection, which is 1.5volts for the Northwood. If you overclock too high and perform a cold boot, the POST will sometimes error out on Code 26. If you notice, no matter what you have set in BIOS, the POST will always pause on Code 26 and if ok, it will continue on.

One likely reason why some are not effected by this problem could be either they dont overclock that high or they have performed the CPU pin mod, which changes the default voltage and allows for a higher initial voltage during POST before it references any user changes in BIOS. I personally have not tried the Pin Mod, but it seems logical that it could help the cold boot problem. Actually, the issue has arisen again with my setup. I thought the latest flash of 43a helped. It may have to some degree, but I still see the problem now and then. For me, its nothing more than a minor annoyance. One or two presses of the reset button allows the system to continue past code 26.

even with the CPU pin mod (default - 1.7V) i still get this cold boot problem sometimes, so it doesn't help at all.

Back